Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2008, 02:42 PM   #1

Mid-Sized Flat Panel TV Needed. Recs?

I see the other posts about biggest TV, etc., but that's not for me. I need a reasonably size tv/monitor to watch DVDs and, perhaps, later install a sat system. The drop down screens are too small and some of the monitors discussed here are too big. Just call me "Goldie" as need something in the middle. I have a Prosine 2.0 inverter and solar, so my power should be good. As always, looking for something reasonably priced (I'm not an audiophile/videophile, but if I've got it, I'll crank it up). Since my goucho sits lengthwise, I want to mount it on the opposing side (probably above my range with a quick release system in case I ever need to use the range (unlikely as I've only cooked outside due to moisture, smells, greese, etc.)). If you look closely, you can see in this pic the remains of the PO's TV mount above the stove. That's where I plan to do it. Would like to tie into the van's sound system if reasonable. Guessing I'd have to buy a different stereo to accomidate that, but don't know (Pioneer, but no aux jacks). So, Buji and others in the know, what are your thoughts? Thanks.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:34 PM   #2

I went with a 13" monitor between the drivers seats. I decided this was better than a side mount because I didn't want to hassle with moving the screen from time to time. I was able to find one that swivels 270 degrees which allows better viewing from the rear and from outside. It can even be tilted up so you can see it from the top bed. Not ideal though. You can find these as big as 14" (full swivel ones). My system has dual output so the kids can basically do whatever they want in the back with infra red headphones on and not bother the driver. I even hooked up some aux inputs so they can play the xbox.

Hope that helps.

https://sportsmobile4x4.blogspot.com/
panion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:45 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to lowracer
I WANT!

where'd you get it, have you got a link?
Old 04-16-2008, 07:50 PM   #4

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
The 15" Insignia HDTV from Best Buy is popular for DIY camper trailers.

Advantages
- 4:3 ratio
- Computer monitor too
- 12VDC, no inverter needed, should be a lower power draw.
- Good overall size,
- Only 3" deep
- All cables face downward, therefore the monitor can be mounted against the wall
- Cheap, as low at $180 on sale

Disadv
- Speakers fair/poor
- not widescreen

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... ductdetail

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:52 PM   #5

How about mounted on the passenger wall at the end of the counter?

A swing arm in the corner and you could leave it flat against the wall for counter space and swing it out at an angle for viewing from the sofa.

Ditto Panions TV.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:02 PM   #6

The Monitor that SMBW's A/V guru recommended is made by Eiger www.eigervision.net but, boy were they expensive. Installed cost was $1,100 for a 12" flip down. I passed on it for now.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:56 PM   #7

I used an inexpensive 19" Computer Monitor. Of course it does not have a built in tuner but I mainly use it for watching DVD's that are played through my Alpine headunit. The monitor is connected to a switch box (you can get a cheap one at Fry's or online) that has a tuner built in and lets you switch from different sources. I have a portable Satellite Dish for DirecTV connected up to it too and a single cable comes from the Alpine into it. This also functions as a secondary computer monitor if you need to use it as such. I use a RAM Mount arm so it can swing out. It is very sturdy and locks down just fine. I have the 50 floorplan and the arm is mounted behind the driver seat.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:15 AM   #8

Steve- could you post some pics of your setup? My small drop down monitor needs to be upgraded as well and I like the sound of your setup in a 50.

Thanks

Adam
Old 04-17-2008, 12:48 PM   #9

Thanks for all the quick replies. Not getting notifications, so didn't know you all chimed in. I'll be in the big city next week for a conference/training. There is a Circuit City and Best Buy near the conference. I guess I know what I'll be doing during at least one lunch break.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowracer
I WANT!

where'd you get it, have you got a link?
I bought mine from someone on ebay. I just looked again with the search "flip down 360" and it came up with 8 options. Here is an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-14-Flip-Down-TF ... dZViewItem

Two things to consider if you use one of these. They aren't the best quality. I tried to find a better one, but it looks like only the cheapo guys are making them so far. The viewing angle isn't that good on mine. With that said, I'd do the exact same thing if or maybe when this one dies.

Because it mounts backwards I had to move the infra red transmitters to the back of the unit. Wasn't that difficult, but if you drill holes like I did there is no sending it back.

I'm always impressed with how many different ideas come up on a post like this. Some really good options I had not considered.

https://sportsmobile4x4.blogspot.com/
panion is offline   Reply With Quote