Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2010, 10:18 PM   #1

Monitor Issue - HELP

When I bought my van, it had a small Eiger 10" flip down monitor for the Kenwood DVD player...all installed by SMB. I decided to upgrade to a 16" Pyle flip down and had it professionally installed. When I took it for a test run, it went about 20 minutes and then powered off. After it did this, it would power off every 5-7 minutes. The DVD was still playing, sound and screen working fine in the head unit. I had the installer test the voltage and there was no power flux in the line and it read between 12-13.5 volts, so he thought it was a power supply issue in the monitor. I have a new AMG battery and it does it both on the vehicle batteries and the AMG. I exchanged the monitor and reinstalled a new one only to have the same issue. I tried bypassing the fuse in the line and that didn't work. Any suggestions?

Old 05-28-2010, 08:01 AM   #2

Re: Monitor Issue - HELP

It sounds like something is overheating and causing it to automatically power down. That would not show up as a voltage fluctuation. I don't know what would be overheating though....it could be a partial short in a power feed, not enough air circulation around a transformer...
Old 05-29-2010, 06:25 AM   #3

Haha, I wrote about this before during my CB install. SMB has this HUGE fat green wire going up to the overhead and it's a good solid 12v feed- for about 12 to 20 minutes after the door has been opened. It drove me crazy because it stays on way longer then I thought it should, but still goes off even when the van is on. It stays on even when the dome lights go off. What? Huh, you say? Exactly.

So the secret is it's the visor mirror lights- however, it's this big fat juicy wire and there is no doubt that someone would tie into it thinking it was a good power source- I almost did, but when I double checked it was off... it's one of those idiosyncrasies about the van. The fact that mine is a 12g wire when it could be 22g is just part of the mystery.

Yours might be a different size and color of course, but it looks like the perfect place to pull 12v from and that's probably what they did.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:45 AM   #4

Now I never fully tested the 10" Eiger that SMB had installed, so I have no idea if the problem existed prior to the upgrade. I would have thought that my tech would have used the same power source as SMB, is it possible that SMB installed it wrong???? I would think they know what they're doing by 2006 when my van was built.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #5

Update...DO NOT GET A PYLE! It's named pyle for a reason as in a pile of sh**. It turned out that both monitors don't work with the system. No idea why, but they didn't. I ended up getting a 20" XO Vision flipdown and so far, so good. It doesn't have a swivel, but oh well.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #6

Funny I have the exact same issue and I have a 17" Pyle 360 degree rotating screen. I have narrowed it down however to the fact that it is wired to the dome lights power so the screen will shutoff after a couple minutes even though DVD and sound still works. I got it to keep going by turning my light knob to the interior dome light on position and it will stay on until you turn it off. I do not have dome lights anymore so the switch doesn't turn any other lights on anymore but it is now the "power" button for the Pyle monitor. I am going to have it rewired to the house battery wire (same as DVD) instead of the dome light wire which I assume is on the starter battery. The monitor itself is great however and works fine when it is getting power. Also can put it at any angle and watch it from the PH if you want as well as turn it 360 degrees.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:45 AM   #7

My 16" Pyle had a pretty good picture too for the 20 minutes it was on and I may miss the 360 swivel. We checked to see if it was wired to the dome light and it wasn't the problem. We had it running off the house battery and it still died. I had him test the wiring by temporarily installing a spare monitor he had and it worked fine. I tested my new XO before mounting and also worked fine. I had seen in an earlier post that someone else had a problem weith a Pyle. Good luck.