Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2019, 10:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
I've seen a few YouTube videos where the braver souls have torn the RKE modules apart to replace one or more of the obviously failed surface-mounted electrical components, most often a capacitor.

Looking at the schematic you could wire around the PDL function of the RKE if it can't be repaired or a good replacement found. Naturally this all assumes it is the problem.
I've opened the RKE box, and like you said, there are a lot of electronics, mostly surface mounted. I've never had any luck removing and re-soldering surface mount components, their just too small for my smallest soldering iron and fat fingers. Fortunately, most alarm systems include door lock / unlock functions, so with a couple relays the RKE can be bypassed. Removing it completely from the circuit should confirm if it's the problem, but at the moment, everything is working perfectly including all door switches and alarm remotes. If it ever acts up again (it's been almost 3 years since my 2001 has done this) I'll see if I can unplug the module to stop the insanity.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:51 AM   #12

I've been trying to follow this thread. I don't know shiza from shiola because I haven't had to deal with it. Long live pre 2008's , yeah huh?

Just throwing out some random thoughts here.

Could there be any issues with outside influences? Like RF from cell phones, bluetooth, passing cars, bad key fob, low battery in the key fob, martian invasions, ?

Back in the day, a pastime among the young was driving down the street with a garage door remote to see how many would open. Back back in the day.
regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:21 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by regis101 View Post
Back in the day, a pastime among the young was driving down the street with a garage door remote to see how many would open. Back back in the day.
Hoping this statement is camouflage for someone with actual first hand experience - did you have any luck???
Never worked for us, but always hoped someone could actually validate the rumor.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:25 PM   #14

This was back in the 70's. The remotes, garage remote, only had like four codes.
So yeah, I have first hand knowledge.

Back then, at least in my area, not many people had garage openers. At my house, I was the garage opener, rain or shine or snow. Same as with the TV.
I was the remote and antennae adjuster.

But anyway, I'm hoping to hear of a fix for these electrical gremlins otherwise I may be destined to only own a <07 vehicle forever. This issue would bend me.
regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:22 PM   #15

[QUOTE=regis101;253671Could there be any issues with outside influences? martian invasions? [/QUOTE]

Most likely.
Advanced 4wd
Old 05-30-2019, 05:23 AM   #16
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by regis101 View Post
Could there be any issues with outside influences? Like RF from cell phones, bluetooth, passing cars, bad key fob, low battery in the key fob, martian invasions, ?
That's actually a good question especially if you're not already familiar with Ford's particular RKE operation. Typically every brand of wireless remote will have somewhat discreet frequencies so there's little chance of one device actuating or affecting another.

With so many frequencies filling our airways these days its hard to imagine such a thing NOT happening but it would be extremely rare.

When garage door openers would were being "abused" it was mainly because newly installed units arrived with the same pass code or frequency, up to the new owner to change that---many didn't know or didn't seem to care so it stayed the same.

After more than a few homes were burglarized through an open garage door the word went out to change things immediately. I think today they each operate on different frequencies making this far less likely.

So no the RKE isn't usually affected by other remotes. Martians maybe but nothing earth bound.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:47 AM   #17

[QUOTSo no the RKE isn't usually affected by other remotes. Martians maybe but nothing earth bound. [/QUOTE]

Well, we get regular fly overs from Navy Growlers and Orian PC3's (electronic warfare planes that are designed to jam all frequencies on the battle field) I wonder if some board pilot is flying around trying to open garage doors? There was one a few weeks back that drew a penis in the sky with his contrail's. Made all the news stations. They released the cockpit conversation and it was pretty funny.
Attached Images

Advanced 4wd
Old 05-30-2019, 12:51 PM   #18

Garage
And soccer moms everywhere expressed their outrage, outrage I tell ya, on Facebook...
velo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:55 PM   #19
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by velo47 View Post
And soccer moms everywhere expressed their outrage, outrage I tell ya, on Facebook...
......while secretly and silently pondering if the tall tales of manly pilots being true, where these aerial artists bragging or advertising?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote