Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2016, 02:05 PM   #1

Mystery switches on new to me van

Hey, thought I take a stab here before pulling liners to chase wires and voltage testing. I've got seven switches I don't know what they go to. I have a Cruiser top and there is an AC outlet above the driver seat with three black relays that audibly click when flipping different switches. The van is an '04 SMB conversion.

I've searched pics, owner's manuals and threads here and am not finding much.

I bought this van from a dealer and he didn't have much info. I took a gamble and mechanically the van is dialed. I just need to figure out the house side of things. The long term plan is to do some new interior work at which point I will have the interior taken apart but thats a year off so I'd like to figure this out without too much disassembly.

It's wired for solar but the PO kept the panel so I'll be replacing that. There is an old school backup cam hanging off the roof and a satellite radio antennae on that. I'll be pulling those. It also looked like it was wired for a sub and amp that are gone. I'm going to voltmeter those wires. I'm thinking one of the five switches above the driver might be to that.

There's an ARB panel above the windshield for compressor and lockers. Two additional switches that I traced to extra lighting which the PO kept.

On the dash, there's a toggle switch with a wire back to the isolator so I'm guessing that's the battery combiner to start off the house if needed. Above that is an illuminated switch that makes the relay above click but does nothing else noticeable. It's not a high idle switch (van also has the idle controller). Those two switches are under the transfer case green light.

There are single switches above the bar doors and rear passenger side door that also make the relay click but nothing else happens.

There are five switches above the driver seat. One is the house radio, one is the Starcool and the other three do nothing and don't trip the relay like the barn door and rear switches.

Anyone know what some of these might be for to save me some hunting time? The wires are not easily accessible so I'm looking for any tips or short cuts. Any other pictures that I could post that would be helpful? I'm appreciative of any ideas no matter how weird before I start taking out trim and headliners. Beer credits for any info...

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3064.JPG   IMG_3065.JPG   IMG_3066.JPG   IMG_3067.JPG  

Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:18 AM   #2

Update...after extensive google searching, I was able to locate the original owner of the van and he was kind enough to talk me through the van for 30 minutes. Thought I'd post up the results in case anyone ever has this issue.

One of the switches above and to the left of the driver, barn door, and rear door are wired through a relay to control floods that surrounded the van that are no longer there. Second owner had the van repo'd and the dick pulled the lights, aluminess bumpers, amp and sub, and rear compressor before the bank took it back.

Other two switches in the group of five are remotes for the dual fantastic fans. Two switches by ARBs are the lights that were in the front bumper. Red switch is for the front and rear winch connections.

And really the reason I'm posting is to show the original interior ordered and installed by SMB West. It has since been redone to a subtle grey.
Attached Thumbnails
Old bumper.jpg   Interior.jpg  
Old 10-07-2016, 09:37 AM   #3
Site Team

The original interior looks like it was owned by the Partridge Family at some point.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:42 AM   #4

Oh, I remember seeing this van posted at some point with that crazy interior!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage
Yeah I remember that van. The inside screamed scary clown to me. I'll bet the new interior is a huge improvement and much easier on the eye. I loved the exterior and the white bumpers were a nice touch. So you had to purchase new bumpers?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:37 PM   #6

Came with stock bumpers when I bought it. I'm starting the hunt for new bumpers now. I have some old pics SMB TX sent me from different angles and in some, the white looks really good, some not so much... I can't decide which is better-white or black. I bet those white bumpers are floating around Colorado. I guess Aluminess has only done a couple sets in white so they would be easy to spot.

The story on the interior was the original owner's son had a brain injury and really liked colors so the guy had SMB make it loud to take the kid camping in it.

If any one could point to posts on here where they've seen it, I'd appreciate it. I've ran out of search terms to try. I'm trying to piece the history together. I've got most the info from '04 to '13 but no clue of it's story with the Colorado owner.

I do know the original owner had some electrical issues which SMB TX fixed before selling and since they sold it, it had the EGR delete, upgraded oil cooler, trans cooler, ARP studs and gasket.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:07 PM   #7

I'm pretty sure it was on SMB's classified. I've seen it before too.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
I'm pretty sure it was on SMB's classified. I've seen it before too.

Yeah, I think that's where I saw it.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:35 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post

The story on the interior was the original owner's son had a brain injury and really liked colors so the guy had SMB make it loud to take the kid camping in it.
You have to give credit to the guy on making his kid happy. Hell of a parent.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:54 AM   #10

^ Agreed. That's really cool.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote