Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2023, 02:52 PM   #1

Need help in replacing rear Penthouse top exterior light bulb

I have been having trouble replacing the rear exterior light bulb on my Penthouse top. This red safety light cover( approx. 2x4 in) is mounted in the center of the Penthouse top and is mounted to the top with two small screws. I have removed the screws to remove the cover and access the bulb(s) but the cover won't budge. Can anyone out there give me some advice to remove the cover and replace the bulb(s)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

geotrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 03:55 PM   #2

Garage
I'm assuming you are talking about the third Brake light. I had some difficulty the first time as well - someone had run a little sealant around the edges of the gasket (both sides).
Your best access is raising the pop top - I was able to loosen mine by giving it a couple nudges from both sides at the same time. On mine, the interior wire and the metal piece which holds the bulb were all corroded, so I purchased a replacement unit through the SMB Store (now Field Van - not sure if they offer it anymore).
This Thread has some relatively recent replacement suggestions:
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ssy-30963.html
Old 06-05-2023, 04:30 PM   #3

It sounds like you have removed the screws that hold the red plastic lens in. That lens pulls straight out but it may be difficult to grab.

You can insert a drill bit or perhaps a phillips screwdriver into one or both of the screw holes in the red plastic and slightly pry and lift at the same time. Or perhaps apply some really sticky tape to the lens and pull it out that way.

The outer black plastic frame is typically double-sided adhesive taped to the roof.

I've done a modification to this center high mounted stop lamp (CHMSL-"chimsel") by replacing the incandescent bulbs and sockets with an LED strip....just haven't found time to post it here.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 07:50 AM   #4

Smile

Thank you very much for the input! I'll proceed with the bulb replacement now.
geotrek is offline   Reply With Quote