Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2008, 08:11 PM   #1

New Pioneer Headunit w/backup camera installed

Got some interior goodies Pioneer p4000 Just finished installing it about an hour ago.

So these units that play DVD need to be wired into the parking brake to the only time you could actually watch any movies is when your at a stop. Obviously i had to bypass that. Researched some forums and this what needed to be done. A push button momentary switch.

At the same time, i installed a back-up camera. Bought the Audiovox system from bestybuy. Again, didnt tap into the reverse power. Instead, wired it to a switch so i could turn it on and off whenever i want.

Sorry for the sh!tty pics.

Reverse power

Home page

The best documentary

Camera mounted.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:29 PM   #2

Nice stealth install on the black switch, look ma, no holes!

Will it stay if you tilt the steering wheel?
Old 10-03-2008, 06:01 AM   #3
Site Team

Just from the one user menu screen shot, it already looks far less complicated to use than the Kenwood unit that I have.

BTW, great choice on the DVD. Dust to Glory is a fun movie.

Herb
Old 10-03-2008, 09:53 AM   #4

Congrats on the new head unit. Thats the same unit we have. We love it and have the override switch installed so we can watch DVD's too. It's also nice that when we put the truck in reverse the back up camera comes right on automatically.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:45 PM   #5
Sam

Re: New Pioneer Headunit w/backup camera installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggedjeep
Got some interior goodies Pioneer p4000 Just finished installing it about an hour ago.

So these units that play DVD need to be wired into the parking brake to the only time you could actually watch any movies is when your at a stop. Obviously i had to bypass that. Researched some forums and this what needed to be done. A push button momentary switch.

ruggedjeep:

Does it have to be a push button momentary switch? Are you still connecting it to the parking brake wire on the van module? What about the speed sensor? Would this switch give you access to the GPS functions as well? I considered putting a SPDT switch on my parking brake line to get complete GPS & iPod functions.

I have an Eclipse AVN5510 that has GPS, DVD, Backup Camera & iPod. With the proper hookup, once you start moving, most of the GPS functions are locked out & I'm sure that the DVD functions are gone. What really gets me is that they have limited the iPod functions by only allowing me to have access to about 6 albums of songs.

I've considered purchase of the Kenwood DNX8120 that uses Garmin GPS & has lots of other bells & whistles mainly because the Eclipse doesn't dim very well when the radio or iPod screens are on at night. The screen is way too bright & distracting. I was told that even though it is wired to my dimmer switch, the Eclipse will only dim a preset amount because it uses voltage as a dimmer function.

Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:53 AM   #6

Nice install and nice write up. I just put the Kenwood DNX8120 in my SMB and took a 3000 mile drive across the country learning it. I love it.

I wired my camera to switch on when in reverse, but the Kenwood also has the option to switch it on whenever I want.

Getting around the e-brake thing, I simply ran the wire straight to ground. I had thought originally that it needed a hot 12V lead in order to fool it, but discovered that grounding it was all that was necessary. As far as the head unit knows the e-brake is always on - no switch required.

Those thinking about the Kenwood be aware, though, that some minor dash trimming is needed to make it fit. I spent a lot of time with the dremel gently opening up the dash and dash face to fit it in there. Also fabricated a custom bracket to secure it. I guess that is why Crutchfield will tell you that double DIN doesn't fit our vans.

Anyway, enjoy the new toy.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:09 PM   #7
Sam

tskyhi- Does that mean that you have all of the functions of you DNX while moving? What do you think of the Kenwood thus far? That is the replacement unit I'm considering? They look pretty nice & the people that rated them for Crutchfield seem to like them.

Sam
Old 10-06-2008, 10:55 AM   #8

Thanks for the compliments guys. The black switch for the reverse camera is temporary. I had the switch in my box and just used it till i buy a decent set of switches and mount them in a proper location.

I do not have navigation on this unit. I use a external Garmin Nuvi unit which i am really happy with. I have full Ipod control and USB control while the rig is in motion.

During the install, i too thought i could bypass the E-brake thing by running the "green" wire straight to ground. Didnt work that way. I would get the caution screen when i turned the van on. By just playing around with some wires i accidently removed the "green"(ground) wire and then reconnected it and it bypassed the "caution/warning" screen, thats when i realized it needs to be a momentary switch. I researched online and found these write-ups.
http://www.f150online.com/forums/head-u ... -pics.html

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14154

Also, the opening for the stock unit needs to be modified. I used my dremel and a large file and spent about an hour, carefully making the opening a little larger. Its a tight fit, i hope i dont have to pull it out anytime soon.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:46 PM   #9
Sam

Ruggedjeep:

Thanks for the info & links!

Sam
Old 10-18-2008, 05:02 PM   #10

Some pics of the clarity. Really happy with it so far.