Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #1

New shore power extension cord?

Hi all,
My shore power extension cord met its demise yesterday at the hands of a snowplow.

The good news is that it was not plugged into the van when the plow came along. That would have probably damaged the plug area on the side of the van.

This was the original cord that came from SMB with the van.

I think it was 30amp, but am not sure.

Any experts know what I should buy as a replacement?

Thanks.
Rob

Old 04-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: New shore power extension cord?

Rob, did the snow plow take it with him? If not you can go to a good electrical parts house and just show it to them. Build yourself a new one. I looked at those RV cords from places like camping world and they are way over priced compared to a parts house.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Rob, did the snow plow take it with him? If not you can go to a good electrical parts house and just show it to them. Build yourself a new one. I looked at those RV cords from places like camping world and they are way over priced compared to a parts house.

Dave
Dave, yep, the plow chewed the black shore power cord and a 50 foot extension cord to bits. Nothing was salvageable unfortunately. I will probably just swing by an RV supply store and pay up. But thus far I've been unable to find an exact replacement online and I really liked the setup that came from SMB.
Thanks
R
Old 04-09-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
Site Team

Garage

I made a new one for my van and only use the heavy one for plugging in at home. If most the time you are plugging into a 15 or 20 amp wall outlet and your van has a light load like the fridge and battery charger then a 50 foot 10 or 12 gauge will work. I just put the 30 amp plug on the end and it fit in the back door. Now I have one that will reach when visiting friends and not have to run the cheaper cords they have.

Remember the the breaker on what you are plugging into is what current you can use and I dont see any of us in a smb using 30 amps.

Home depot had both.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry
I made a new one for my van and only use the heavy one for plugging in at home. If most the time you are plugging into a 15 or 20 amp wall outlet and your van has a light load like the fridge and battery charger then a 50 foot 10 or 12 gauge will work. I just put the 30 amp plug on the end and it fit in the back door. Now I have one that will reach when visiting friends and not have to run the cheaper cords they have.

Remember the the breaker on what you are plugging into is what current you can use and I dont see any of us in a smb using 30 amps.

Home depot had both.
Thanks, but if you could provide a bit more detail that would be helpful. I'm pretty clueless about this stuff.

The setup that was destroyed had a female 30A plus that attached to the outside of the van on the driver's side. The other end had an adapter that enabled me to just plug it into any standard outlet.

99% of the time I use shore power to recharge the house batteries and run the fridge. I've never actually camped while plugged in.

I've been to a couple hardware stores and none have had cords with the proper 30A female plug. Will try and check home depot on the way home.

Thanks
R
Old 04-09-2011, 10:32 AM   #6

Garage

If you never plug in at an RV park, could get an adapter to plug into the van and then use a standard 120v extension cord.

http://www.camco.net/#app=c217&f4c9-...electedIndex=0
Old 04-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider

The setup that was destroyed had a female 30A plus that attached to the outside of the van on the driver's side. The other end had an adapter that enabled me to just plug it into any standard outlet.

99% of the time I use shore power to recharge the house batteries and run the fridge. I've never actually camped while plugged in.

I've been to a couple hardware stores and none have had cords with the proper 30A female plug. Will try and check home depot on the way home.

Thanks
R
Rob you got to have an electrical house around your area. Those are a fairly common plug. Take a picture of it in and they should be able to fix you up. The ones in the RV shops usually have that big boot on it. I didn't like those. Get a good industrial cord from a place like home depot, cut off the plug and install the new 30A one.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Ok its real easy to wire this up.

You can get the 12 gauge extention cord from home depot it the lenght you need and pick up the 30a twist lock cord female connector from them also.

you will need to cut the female end off the ext cord and cut the outer cover back about a 1 1/2 with out nicking the insulation of the wires inside. You will need to strip a 1/2 inch of insulation off each of these and run through the end of the connector cover.

This is the easy part. on the female connector you will have 3 screws. one will be silver and gets the white wire.

The next will be gold and will get the black wire.

the last one will be green and it goes with the green wire.

make sure that the wires are all the way in and use a good screw driver to make sure they are tight.

you can PM me and I will get you my cell

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry

Home depot had both.
Thanks, but if you could provide a bit more detail that would be helpful. I'm pretty clueless about this stuff.

Thanks
R

Old 04-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

wait I just say that your in Pasadena and thats one low elevations snow plow?

I can wire it if you get the parts

Quote:
Hi all,
My shore power extension cord met its demise yesterday at the hands of a snowplow.

The good news is that it was not plugged into the van when the plow came along. That would have probably damaged the plug area on the side of the van.

This was the original cord that came from SMB with the van.

I think it was 30amp, but am not sure.

Any experts know what I should buy as a replacement?

Thanks.
Rob

Old 04-09-2011, 11:45 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

I think he was up in Tahoe Maybe not, Global warming?