Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2019, 07:40 PM   #1

Newer Radios not Working with E350?

Sorry for so many eletrical posts. My van came in great condition from the previous owners, except the electrical...

The van came with a Pioneer MVH-S600BS head unit. It works just fine. However, I wanted a unit that could support a backup camera, Android Auto, and CarPlay. So I bought a Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX.

Got a unit, installed it, it started up, worked for a few minutes, then never worked again. Crutchfield sent me a replacement.

Second unit, started just fine, could even hear the radio, then boom stopped working. Never came back.

Got a third unit today. This one was bench tested at Crutchfield before shipping. Installed it, it never worked.

What I mean by not working, is the LCD screen has the backlight on, but no visual. The buttons are on, but dont work. The fan is on.

Crutchfield was baffled by all this. The radio wires are putting out the correct voltage (both power wires), and the harness from Crutchfield works (plugged the old radio into it).

So, that means something with the van at this point im guessing. But what. The old radio works, newer radios with fancy screens dont.

I thought maybe my weird battery issues were the cause, so today I installed a brand new under the hood starter battery and installed the second starter battery on the frame rail.

But that didnt help either.

I know some of you have newer radios in your vans and was curious if yall ever ran into anything like this before. Or any alternate ideas t check or try.

tnmarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:10 AM   #2

Oh man. If this isnt the biggest facepalm, i dont know what is.

I snipped the Reverse wire (purple from radio) to see what happened. The radio works just fine now. So I must have tapped into the wrong reverse wire (forums here seemed to indicate Black with Purple Stripe in driver kick panel).

Woot, another electrical gremlin down.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:39 AM   #3

Glad you found it. I like to grab the reverse wire in the driver foot well. Far fewer wires there plus I know it is headed to the back of the van. A tester light / meter with a thin pin to pierce the wire helps, too.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:43 AM   #4

Well thats the thing though. whatever wire i grabbed is not correct, or it is correct but somehow makes the radio sad. The radio got happy _after_ being disconnected from the reverse wire lol.

Ill take a picture of the wire i used here shortly.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:22 AM   #5
Site Team

We've all been there.

If nothing else, kudos to Crutchfield for sticking with you through all this.

Herb
Old 04-19-2019, 10:09 AM   #6
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
We've all been there.

If nothing else, kudos to Crutchfield for sticking with you through all this.

Herb
Yep, yep and yep on all that ^^^! They are pretty amazing to buy from--VERY dedicated to keeping us neophytes happy!

I always recommend an EVTM for a specific year E-Series----they're readily available for decent prices through eBay. I have a complete set from '97 until at least '14, the vans I own and drive have at least 2 or 3 copies for use and future reference.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:32 AM   #7

What's an EVTM? I mean other than a FLA (four letter acronym).
Old 04-19-2019, 01:35 PM   #8

Garage
Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual

EVTM. Acronym. Definition. EVTM. Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (Ford)
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:02 PM   #9

So apparently, my drivers side kick panel loom, has TWO wires that are black with pink stripe. Tapped the other wire (which was deeper in the loom) and boom, thats the correct wire.

Now to find the "gray/black" vss wire they said should be in the same area.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:46 PM   #10

I recently had the same issue. Installed a Kenwood headunit in my 2002 E250 and tapped into what I thought was the reverse wire (based on doing the same install in my 98 E250). The headunit would not turn on. I disconnected that wire and all was good. I haven’t gotten back to troubleshooting it, but this sounds like the problem!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote