Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2008, 12:29 PM   #21

OK, here's an update. Yesterday I finished installing two brand new Duralast Gold 65DLG batteries. At approximately 6pm I connected the negative cable under the van (I'm not real impressed with the negative-to-frame as the frame is painted and the only connection is a slightly corroded bolt to the slightly corroded threads on the frame).

I took the voltage at the dash and it was 12.7 or 12.4.. I kind of spaced the last digit. Anyway without keying on and with everything off (including dome lights) I went out a noon today and there is only 11.7 volts- that's across two 875cca batts (1000 cranking amps) I'm not sure what that means in Amp hours but that's a heck of a drop for nothing.

The next step is to go for a long drive, charge the starter batts and see if the house batts come up.

Here's my thoughts from the beginning:
1. starter batts were going bad
2. leaving lights on killed them
3. starting from house batts weakened them, both before and after #2
4. sitting killed the house batts:
a. dead starter batts (~7v) combined with a bad isolator*
b. CO and propane sensors left on
c. no shore power (just for the record)
d. the house batts were partially down from #3
e. the older house batt is fried
5. shore power with no starters and the house batts at 7.x brought the house up to 8.x volts however it would trip
6. jump starting was unsuccessful
7. new batts draining (again points to a bad isolater)*

So I'm going to drive it both to top off the starter batts and to try to bring the house batts up to chargable before disconnecting the isolater.

Once the isolater is disconnected I'll shore power the house batts (possibly disconnecting the older one first) and see if the starter batts still have a drain with no isolater.

Then check, re-check, look at wiring, test whatever I can think of.

Oh yeah, I plan to put a switch in for the CO and Propane monitors while I'm monkeying around with the isolater. I'm also going to fix the ground on the starter batts and check what has power from the house batts while their disco'd this time.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:43 PM   #22

Took a six hour cruise through the Rocky Mtn National park. Saw elk everywhere. The starter batts topped out at 13.1 key off and the house batts slowly climbed to 12.33 by the end.

I just took my separator out to isolate the two circuits, then plugged into shore power (charging the house side). I posted about testing the separator in another thread.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:30 AM   #23

I think you're going about it in the right way jage. You're isolating each area and then charging up the batteries. I think you're going to find one of your house batteries is the culprit. Keep us informed.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #24

Let's see, approximately 38 hours on shore power and the house are reading 12.97 on shore power and 12.74 (and falling) immediately on unplugging.

The starters are at 11.4v just from sitting. I'm wishing I'd checked the starters at regular intervals since the 13.1 was immediately after the key off.

More waiting more checking for both sets.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:57 AM   #25
Site Team

Garage
Sounds like one or both of the house batteries are shot. Maybe you can separate them from each other and the system to see how long they hold. AGM's will hold a charge for a long time w/o a load if good. As far as the starting batteries, I had a draw on another vehicle that was due to a bad alternator. It worked and charged the system but was bad. I pulled all the fuses and tapped the battery neutral connection on and off in the dark and it sparked indicating a draw. From there I started pulling off everything connected to the motor. The alternator was easy so it was first and I got lucky (no more sparking). I always start with the easy crap first. A system of elimination, unfortunately these vans got a bunch to eliminate. I feel for ya bro. I’d ship you one of those easy buttons if they would work.
Dave Boyer

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:45 AM   #26

Well all my wires are good and everything tests out, both sides are holding a charge. The only thing missing is the Separator- and it tested out BAD. From what I can tell it engaged somewhat randomly or was on at all times. Details are in another thread

I believe the bad starter batts brought the system down and most everything else stemmed from the jacked up separator.