Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2014, 08:27 AM   #11

Re: Noob Question. How to plug SMB into my house?

Don't have shore power set-up in the van but did on my boat. There was always a switch to select power source - shore or house battery. Does SMB have same or chargers are auto sensing?

Trouble shooting - Gooseberry And tonyvouy are on track - check 110V plugs in van to deternine if power is present in those. No power there points to residence outlet has no power, or extension cord is not transmitting, or a switch is not set correctly or breaker in van could be tripped. Start at source of power first, in his case, the residential plug and step by step, establish to which system point power is present. Then let us know so we can help from there. Would also be good to know if a voltage meter is available to you.

Apologies up front if this is too basic, just usually find starting at very beginning is the right way to diagnose a problem. I lost much hair learning this

Old 01-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #12

If you need a manual for your Trace Engineering inverter (not trance electronics, I think you got it wrong) let me know. That's what I have in my van and I have the OEM manual. Xantrex is what they morphed into, BTW.

I agree with all the above. Start by checking each individual system to isolate it to a particular area for further troubleshooting.

First make sure you are actually getting 110 power to the van by plugging something into one of the van's 110 outlets (breakers on, inverter off). If that works, then something is suspect with the inverter and it may not be putting out 12v charging current. Check the inverter 12v out with a multimeter to see if it's working. Also check the inverter LEDs to see if they show power in/out.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #13

Thank you all so much for the responses. I found the manual for the Inverter and yes it's a Trace Engineering PS Series 2512. I had it wrong. I am going to get a new house battery and try and get it figured out this week. I'm going start another thread b/c I found 2 open wires near the inverter and need to figure out where they go and if they need to be spliced. I'll include a pictures in the new thread.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #14

I would suspect twogone is correct, that it will not charge because your battery voltage is to low. Not uncommon chargers to have a low voltage protection. Check your manual under indicator lamps, see the note for Low Battery Indicator.

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote