Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #1

OK, so what sort of speaker / amp setups are you cats using

The way I see it, I love to rock out when I am logging highway miles. I do mean rock out, love a great sound system. That being said, the primary time for great sound is when driving and therefore in the cab. I was trying to gauge what sort of stereo, speakers, amps you guys have setup and how you like that particular setup. I am definitely leaning towards a second amp and sub for when the rocking needs to go boom, so any subwoofer setups are great info!

Thanks gang!

Old 10-28-2014, 12:37 PM   #2

Re: OK, so what sort of speaker / amp setups are you cats us

Depending on how loud you like to go, I would imagine an 8" sub/box could fit under the gaucho bed. There isnt a ton of room under there with the water tank, pump, batteries, etc, but you should be able to find a way to fit something.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

I just had Randy at SMBW install whatever he suggested within my budget at the time. I have 2 amps; one is powering a 8" subwoofer in the back of the van. One thing I did do was to have a switch installed to defeat the subwoofer amp. Not only does it suck down the batteries faster, I found that using the system as a surround sound for watching DVD's provides too much bass. I do know some take out the side door speaker or add one on the opposite side to even out the sound. I never did that and it doesn't bother me.

I do wish I had a stereo that puts out Bluetooth so I could connect to a small speaker system while sitting around the campfire but the I-Pod works OK.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #4

I happen to have a pair of JL 12w6v2's and 1000w amp sitting in my garage just begging to be put to good use! I think there is room for one of them in a proper 1.35 cubic foot sealed enclosure under the gaucho . . . I hope, or maybe below the sink in that cabinet aimed right at the Mrs new favorite seat with all that vibrating (3rd captains chair)

I was thinking exactly the same with that switch, good call!!!!
Old 10-28-2014, 12:53 PM   #5

I've got two 10" subs and three amps and four good 6x9's sitting in a box in my garage.. Came out of old van, haven't had time to put them in new van yet. So sound system is still the stock lame one.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #6

Garage

with todays head units, ive found i dont need a separate amp for regular speakers anymore. i just installed a pioneer avh 5500 in dash 7" screen dvd player and its rated for 50wx4. i just hooked up whatever speakers were in the door, added some old jenky pioneer 6x9s in rear doors (they will eventually move) to the head unit. then wired in a old lanzar amp thats bridgeable to 2ohms and ran a pair of old dvc fosgate 8's in a series to the amp. it sounds plenty good, is more than loud enough to piss off nearby campers (if i chose to do so), and if i turn it up loud enough while driving it creates that ear ringing that i remember so well from being a teenager. only thing worth reselling is the head unit. all the rest is crap thats been collecting dust since i stopped caring about owning a stereo worth stealing.

in other words, if your going to spend money, spend it on a worthy head unit. your stereo will only be as good as the device producing the sound. also, if you are going with a nice head unit, search for the fake stereo face thread started by brianw for some cheap effective ways to conceal it from wouldbe thieves.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #7

Garage

I replaced the stock speakers, installed a 10" subwoofer powered by a 200w mono amp and Kenwood double din head unit. I also dynamat'd the front doors which really helped reduce road noise. Sounds awesome to me.

I would also recommend getting a head unit with reverse camera capabilities, can't say enough about that.

Bluetooth is also a must have IMHO.

Subwoofer fits behind drivers seat, amp underneath drivers seat.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-SWX...slim+subwoofer

Some good info in this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3412
Old 10-28-2014, 05:37 PM   #8

Mine is similar to many already mentioned. I upgraded my OEM head unit to a nice Kenwood from a fellow forum member (Thanks Sdwindandsea), which has plenty of power to drive upgraded front door, mid and rear door speakers. All 3 of these pairs were upgraded with well reviewed Kicker and Pioneer models I found cheapest on Amazon. I had a Jensen 300 watt amp sitting around which I need to replace, but it works to drive a 10' Kicker DVC sub in a small, sealed enclosure under the center gaucho.

I agree totally with DaveB that no matter what sub setup you go with, you should think about a switch on that amp to preserve your batteries when playing relatively quiet music at camp, and to turn off sometimes in the van if you are spending a lot of time in the back. My system sounds surprisingly good to me for the few hundred I have in it, but the bass is overpowering in the back of the van and doesn't really sound very balanced at all back there. If riding in the back, which only my kids do now, I would want to turn that amp off sometimes. I have a sub control on the head unit though so I can do the same thing from up front, but the amp stays on because I haven't switched it...........yet. Scroll down a bit and you can see my sub box build and left center speaker location, which SMB usually leaves out.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...129264#p129264

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:02 PM   #9

Garage

Where do I start... My rig came to me with an absolutely ridiculous and over built kick ass system. Orig owner ( mr Lopes himself) spared no expense with a full bank of amps and a full kit of Kicker speakers in all doors and a massive Kicker dual sub box under rear bed extension . All wired to the DVDS player to boot...did have to replace the DVD/Nav head unit the other week - I installed a Clarion flip up unit...
Definitely an audiophile setup, don't even want to know the cost of the system....
Old 10-28-2014, 07:25 PM   #10

I like what my sound guy did for my rig. He mounted Maestro tweeters in the A pillar to get above the engine noise. It makes a HUGE difference if you have component speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
tweeter2.jpg   tweeter1.jpg  
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote