Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2020, 04:55 PM   #1

Garage
Old or new solar equipment

I am looking to install solar on my 2006 Ford E350 SMB. I have a couple old (about 20 years) Mitsubishi 110W panels that still put out about 90% of their original power. I also have 10 year old Xantrex PMW charge controller that still works.

Before mounting on the roof of my pop top, I want to get some thoughts on using this older equipment versus spending $700+shipping and duty on 2 Renogy 160W panels and a Blue Sea MPPT charge controller. Just don’t want to mount outdated technology when the newer might be more efficient and last longer. AlO, should the older equipment crap out in 6 months, the mounting hardware my not fit an upgrade.

But then the older equipment still works and is in pretty good shape. Any thoughts?

Belize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 04:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belize View Post
... should the older equipment crap out in 6 months, the mounting hardware my not fit an upgrade...

That would be my biggest concern too. I would be comfortable with the old gear, if and only if, you find a way to mount it that could later be adapted to replacement panels.

Herb
Old 04-04-2020, 05:20 PM   #3

How about rack mounting them? Then you won't have to worry about the hardware compatibility.

For the most part, the mounting hardware is pretty universal, it's the holes in the roof that I'd be concerned about. Rack mounting solves that problem.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:13 PM   #4

Garage
Little confused, the "old" panels & controller are just something you've owned for many years but never installed ?
Either way, there are a lot of good Threads on Solar - this one has a couple links I think you'll find interesting - Info (IMO) that should be taken into consideration prior to proceeding (Several members here have great input & perspective which curtailed my initial plans a couple years ago).
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ler-25863.html

If you have the resources to uggrade, I would! Lot of the technology has changed considerably, and maintaining the battery bank becomes one of those critical necessities.
***I would also encourage you to include a suitcase panel hook-up as you proceed with any upgrade. Panels fixed to the roof only benefit you while your parked in the Sun - do little for you while driving since the alternator shoulders that responsibility...and they are no good if you park in the shade. A suitcase with a long cord starts as a contingency plan - one you'll find quickly becomes your primary charge source (or a great supplement to whatever sun you get from the roof).
Old 04-04-2020, 06:45 PM   #5

Garage
The panels and controller have been in use for years. They are in storage now after an upgrade at the original site of use (Tesla batteries and panels). I was originally going to buy new equipment for the van, but this pandemic has changed the equation making the old equipment an option.
Belize is offline   Reply With Quote