Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2017, 11:01 PM   #11

I had 4 renogy flexible panels stuck on my flat FWC aluminum roof. After a year or so, they were dead. They "cupped" and "dished" and quit producing. Same for dozens (?) of others on wanderthewest forums. Sad, and I keep hoping they do a better job and I can buy more in the future. It was great having thin, flexible lightweight panels. They rocked initially.

Most hard tops have ridiculous bubble shape tops and mounting hard solar panels on top ends up looking ridiculous. Hoping for some improvement soon. :/

Brianjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:04 AM   #12

As promised. Not a flexible panel but perhaps worth reading.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post196913
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:44 AM   #13

Hey Shenrie. Not sure what aero top you have, but I have the Fiberine 16" Aero top with the CCV conversion. I'm in the process of getting dimensions so I can help Aluminess come up with a nice roof rack for my setup which would allow for the solid Renogy panels. It's going to have to be a custom modification of the standard voyager top from what I understand, but if I can make it happen and you have a similar top, I'd be happy to share with you and others on the forum!
TheWooginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:36 PM   #14

I had a flexible Renogy 100W panel last about a year before it's output gradually tapered off to zero. The Renogy panels had a 5 year warranty, so I am waiting to hear the outcome on that. I have since replaced it with the HQST panel and it seems to be working as it should thus far - I highly suspect it is identical to the Renogy panels and may be their old stock being resold with a lesser warranty.

The flexible panels are ideal for our situation with a curvy top and less than 2" clearance to fit in the garage. If I had garage clearance, I'd probably opt for a more durable rigid panel option.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
Here is a thread started by GCVT a while back regarding the Renogy flexible panels. Seems they stopped selling them due to a high failure rate. Not sure if they're the same panels (made by same manufacturer), but something to consider.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ket-16568.html
No one has seen my stolen van for quite a while, following the three sightings eight months after it was stolen. Maybe the solar panels actually caught fire and killed the thief
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
Maybe the solar panels actually caught fire and killed the thief
We can only hope huh?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:32 AM   #17

I have always been pretty much against flexible panels, not the idea, but the inherent problems they were having. But, if I was to look a installing a flexible panel I would look at something like this https://www.amazon.com/KINGSOLAR-Mon...00R8SMVC2?th=1.

In general I am picking them for their use of the Sunpower Maxeon solar cell. You can find other vendors that are using them also. There are a few things in their cell design that enhance their reliability, reduce effects of shading and hotspots, backside attachments that give me some hope in their design holding up better.

I also believe when installing I would try to get some air gap between the top and the panel 8mm Twin Wall Clear Polycarbonate Greenhouse Panels | GEMPLER'S
such as jwintersteller did in this install
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-rig-8336.html

This would hopefully reduce heat of the panel and heat transfer through the interior.

Unfortunately, i don't have real test life data that would let me give a recommendation. If I was to go down the route of flexible this is what I would look at, also it should be noted that other companies are building with the sunpower maxeon cell, such as OverlandSolar https://overlandsolar.com/ looks to be building flexibe panels in the works. It is also pretty easy to get Sunpower (B-Grade) cells on Ebay, if you were inclined to build your own panel.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:08 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
No one has seen my stolen van for quite a while, following the three sightings eight months after it was stolen. Maybe the solar panels actually caught fire and killed the thief
Yeah, but you live in Calif so the thief's family would sue you for placing such an unsafe vehicle on the street and allowing him to steal it.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Yeah, but you live in Calif so the thief's family would sue you for placing such an unsafe vehicle on the street and allowing him to steal it.
Hah sad but true. They've probably already moved to Oregon anyway to contribute to our insane housing prices too.
Brianjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Ha! So true.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote