Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #1

Garage
Outside thermometer?

Hey everyone!

Do some of you use outside thermometer? Which type/model? I'm looking for something I could read from the driver seat... And if it also indicate inside temp, it would be better. Just one more need: it should be able to display Farenheit and Celsius degree... ;-)

Thank you ! :-)

Old 10-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #2

Re: Outside thermometer?

I suggest a digital thermometer with a wired probe not wireless. Place the probe up front where it gets lots of air but no sun and away from heat radiation from the engine. Search on Amazon.com for "wired digital thermometer" or find them at Walmart or a homeowner store. Expect to pay under $20. The wireless variety requires two batteries to replace and may not transmit through the firewall. These should all be accurate to one degree. The freezing point is where you need it to be accurate. You should test it with lots of ice cubes in distilled water.

David
Old 10-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #3

Yep? I bought the type Dave suggests. It's an Accurite? Brand I got off Amazon. I have puzzled over probe placement though. I mounted mine on the drivers side wall above my head, sort of in the area of the upper seat belt mount. That way I can look over my shoulder and read it while driving, but also read it from the back while camped. This left me just enough wire to put the probe just inside the lip of my drivers side rear window, somewhat out of the wind and far from engine or road heat. The only time this doesn't work is when afternoon sun blasts that window. Late afternoon or indirect sun and it reads pretty accurate.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #4

Garage

I'm using a Meade TE256 unit with 2 wireless remotes. One goes under the rear bumper, the other goes in the fridge and the display has a built in thermometer. Batteries last about 6 months, no issues.

http://www.amazon.com/Meade-TE256W-P.../dp/B004UQWLIY

Old 10-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #5

I use one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/SainSpeed-7045V-C ... y_e_text_y

The mount needed to be rebuilt after a bit of off-roading with a busted shock.

I just stuck the external sensor to my (shaded by the rack) roof skin. It seems to show a believable in-the shade temperature. I don't consult it while driving. -- I play that game in the car, the van is heavy enough that I should just slow down a bit earlier. You can't run things down to the last degree anyway as you can always come around a corner just to find a colder spot.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #6

We use a wireless unit. The outside unit is placed behind the front license plate plastic holder. Inside unit is either above the windshield (when driving) or back in the van when camped. Works good except when van is pointing into to sun and parked on black surface.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #7

If you just need the outside temp while driving, the ScanGauge II actually can display this via the OBDII port. There a couple "disclaimers" though. It is only accurate when moving, at a standstill it will be way too high due to engine heat, sun light, etc. Probably not what you are looking for though.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #8

I also use the ScanGauge for outside temps. Quite accurate on the road, not so below 35mph. Since I bought the ScanGauge for other reasons, it was a bonus.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #9

Garage

Thanks to all for your answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
I also use the ScanGauge for outside temps. Quite accurate on the road, not so below 35mph. Since I bought the ScanGauge for other reasons, it was a bonus.
Did you have to install an extra sensor for that?
Old 10-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschitt
Thanks to all for your answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Did you have to install an extra sensor for that?
Nope, works directly via the OBDII connection. Nothing else needed.