Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2011, 11:38 PM   #1

Outstanding way to travel with headset

I bought a used pair of David Clark Headsets at the flea market... paid only 20 bux for 'em and they are the 10-66... Called DC and asked about the mic differences as I wanted to use them in the van with the new Icom 7000. they were real helpful in suggesting that I change the mic to the new one that is "more better". The gal said to send the headset back and they would "recondition it and upgrade it for me" I did... and it was cheaper than buying just the mic element.

Came with the windscreen on the mic element so now no air noise from the high speed we do off road... grin.. Works like a million. Leaves the hands free to drive or what ever...grin.. And the vox (voice activated Transmit) works real well. (just don't make comments you don't want the rest to hear by mistake.. conser'n the trail, guy kicking up dust... chicken crossing the road.. etc.. you get the idea...)

Was easy to install too. One lead for the headset earphones... the other for the mic .. and I also have a chest attached clothing clip for push to talk.. but that defeats the hands free for driving thing.

I never knew how much noise you get from driving down the road... besides the people inside screaming about my driving... but, after wearing them for a while.. crus'n down the road you really don't get as tired... go figure... and I think it has to to with the wind noise ...and that semi truck next to you... grin...

These DC's turned out to be the best way to travel and listen on the radio.. of course the price was right too.

With the new Icom 7000...

I can use the HF antenna and section of the radio to let people know (long range) how were doing.. (we won't mention CB is also in the new icom 7000 too...) but... can also flip over to the 2/440 meter ham band and have the spotter outside with a hand held... and be able to talk to him directly and clearly...and/ or the wagon master up ahead...

some of the other great things the icom 7000 will do ... aircraft band commucations... AM radio (got to keep up with the ball games)... and WFM... yep you can listen to the FM radio while traveling... in peace and quiet... ignoring the rest of the crew going at it in the back...

However... you can't ignore the little woman.. so I got her a set of them too... and we used a aircraft intercom... (PS 1000.. that we also got cheap at the swap meet)... so she can listen in... or talk to ya... but I don't think she knows that on the intercom panel.. I can turn her down... so it becomes a simple yes dear... and still listen to the ball game going on... but lets not tell her about that... grin

Next thing I am going to get is the 5x7 touch screen so you don't have to look at them itti bittiy numbers... and to change you just touch and drag.. neat... huh...

GMAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:13 AM   #2

Garage
Re: Outstanding way to travel with headset

Illegal in California, and perhaps other states, too, for a good reason.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #3

No I found out that its not illeagle.. in Calif... as I keep the inside ear open... grin Similar to wearing seat belts... smile
GMAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAs
No I found out that its not illeagle.. in Calif... as I keep the inside ear open... grin Similar to wearing seat belts... smile
Remind me never to drive anywhere near you. Unless you have info to the contrary, below is Calif's Motor Vehicle Code, pulled from the Calif DMV website.

-------------------------------

V C Section 27400 Wearing of Headsets or Earplugs
Wearing of Headsets or Earplugs
27400. A person operating a motor vehicle or bicycle may not wear a headset covering, or earplugs in, both ears. This prohibition does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person operating authorized emergency vehicles, as defined in Section 165.

(b) A person engaged in the operation of either special construction equipment or equipment for use in the maintenance of any highway.

(c) A person engaged in the operation of refuse collection equipment who is wearing a safety headset or safety earplugs.

(d) A person wearing personal hearing protectors in the form of earplugs or molds that are specifically designed to attenuate injurious noise levels. The plugs or molds shall be designed in a manner so as to not inhibit the wearer's ability to hear a siren or horn from an emergency vehicle or a horn from another motor vehicle.

(e) A person using a prosthetic device that aids the hard of hearing.

Amended Sec. 45, Ch. 594, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.

-------------------------------

Herb
Old 04-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Site Team

Garage

Not that it's a good idea to reduce your hearing but doesn't that mean if one ear is not covered it's ok?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #6

Interesting that motorcycles are not excepted... motorcycle intercom system would be another avenue for intra rig chat, but I suppose that's single ear as well, and for some reason helmets don't count?

Anyway, I read it the same way, 1 ear open it's legal. Still seems like a bad idea, you're tired because driving requires a lot of attention, cutting off half a sense... seems like it would be easy to get out of the moment.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

that would make all bluetooth headsets a no no also.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #8

If you are interested, there is an active thread on the Yahooo IC7000 board discussing DC headphones while driving.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ic7000/message/27506

20 years ago I received a warning from a CHP about driving with earphones. They were the walkman type that really didn't impede outside sounds but since they were on both ears he pulled me over. I wondered why he checked out both sides of my car before turning on the red light. He said he wanted to verify that both ears were covered. The warning worked, never done it since.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:31 AM   #9

Being able to hear is not essential. Deaf people drive. Emergency vehicles have sirens and lights to warn drivers. Just something to consider.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.whitbread
Being able to hear is not essential. Deaf people drive. Emergency vehicles have sirens and lights to warn drivers. Just something to consider.
Deaf people are always deaf. As a hearing person growing up in a deaf household once said, "When a spoon fell from the table you looked for it on the floor because the spoon was missing, not because it made a clattering sound." If you're not deaf or HoH, you're making an adjustment when sound is blocked.

Understanding that hearing and sight are not equavalent, people with one eye drive too, but I still think it's less safe for you to wear an eyepatch and drive than someone accustomed to the lack of depth perception.