Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2019, 06:55 PM   #1

Parasitic drain on fuse 5 for power locks but I don't have power locks

1998 7.3 112k miles

Been dealing with a battery drain issue. Did a parasitic current test and there was .15 amp draw. Pulling fuse 5 under the dash brought it back to zero. Fuse 5 is power locks and remote keyless entry. I don't have power locks on my van. Any ideas as to what might be causing the problem? I haven't tried starting the van without fuse 5 because my battery charger is arriving tomorrow.

r27d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:18 PM   #2

If you don't have power locks then you should be fine just pulling it, however I don't know if that fuse goes to anything else and we don't know it. Back in 98 I'm pretty sure the control module for this would be between your B and C pillar low on the wall. To be clear, that means behind your driver's seat about a foot or two back, maybe a foot off the floor. If this is a full SMB build you could be in for a real party getting to it. These all fail and are not made anymore anyway, so it becomes a real party if yours goes.

Tell us more about the van. SMB build? Cargo or passenger?

This has been covered before, here and on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts van section. Member here (and there) JWA will hopefully chime in with more info. I'm thinking he has some experience with this or knows who does.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:34 PM   #3

I don't remember there being any modules in the area you described, just the wiring and connectors. Some photos until I start a build thread..

About the van.. It's a RB cargo with start to a homebuilt conversion. Haven't been driving much at all this winter but I'm heading out to LA to get a 24" Fiberine top installed next week.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2899.jpg   IMG_4486.jpg   IMG_4375.jpg   IMG_4399.jpg   IMG_4377.jpg  

r27d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:45 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post

Tell us more about the van. SMB build? Cargo or passenger?

This has been covered before, here and on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts van section. Member here (and there) JWA will hopefully chime in with more info. I'm thinking he has some experience with this or knows who does.

Good questions Scotty!

My schematics for '98 show Fuse #5 of the Central Junction Box (aka CJB or inside fuse panel) should affect only the RKE module so removing it theoretically shouldn't cause any loss of functions elsewhere on the van. There are no other circuits protected by that fuse.

If the lower trim of the driver's side B-Pillar can be removed there are several connectors present, some of which aren't connected to another mating connector. Keep in mind this area houses wiring harness connectors that feed things like dome lights and all rear brake, turn and reverse lighting too.

If the connectors for the RKE are present then its possible they are somehow allowing a small current drain---pulling Fuse #5 suggests something is causing this.

Then again I don't think a 0.15 drain would be a huge issue if this is a daily driver. Its higher than ideal but any good starting battery should support that---radios and other keep-alive memory functions probably draw that much normally.

Pull the fuse and start/run the van---if all is well you don't need to do anything more. If you lose any functions post back please.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote