Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2020, 04:17 PM   #11

Why is there a 7.5A fuse?

This just happened to me. Replaced the SMB sink lights with M4 T5 LED tubes and drivers, since I thought it would be the most work. Then replaced the SMB ceiling lights with the M4 T8 LED tubes. Turned the ceiling lights on once then twice and 3rd time, nada. Took everything apart and checked voltage and nada to the ceiling but sink lights work fine. Looked at the manual and saw the 7.5A fuse and spent a couple of hours of looking for it. Decided to open a beer and search the Sportsmobile forum and found this thread...thank you guys. Going to open one more beer and then go look for that 7.5A fuse.

Question: anyone know why they have 7.5A fuse to the ceiling lights and the sink light runs off the 30A fuse? Thinking to just direct wire and use the 30A fuse once i find the 7.5A fuse.

if someone has a good answer for the need of the of the 7.5A fuse will relocate in a more friendly place and probably go to 10A.

Thanks again for the helpful information.

soloalpinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:42 PM   #12

I would expect the fuse is RVIA rule that they properly fuse the device going through the flexible conduit to penthouse ceiling. The reason they use 30 amps for other lights is because the fuse a whole side of the van with one 30 amp fuse, multiple lights are tapped into that 30 amp line.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:45 PM   #13

Thanks Greg, Guess I'll keep it RVIA compliant. But I am going to move the fuse to inside the first light fixture...and change it to 10A.
soloalpinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:34 PM   #14

Then you would be defeating the purpose, it needs to be before the flexible conduit. Your putting lights in that draw more current then the existing florescent?

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:35 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage
He is right fuses protect the wire not the device.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote