Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2014, 09:31 PM   #1

Garage
Permanent Truck Battery Charger

I would like to have it set up that when I plug the Yeti, it charges my truck batteries as well. I am Ag engineering it by plugging my charger in an interior plug and the adaptor into the 12v plug in dash.(idea I got by searching the forum) I did have to unplug the Scangauge as it was acting weird.

Does anyone have a permanent system hooked up? If so can you give details?

TexGX

2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Permanent Truck Battery Charger

Most SMB's have two way separators that allow solar or shore power charging to charge both the engine and house battery systems.

You can also set up twin solar systems with independent controllers to charge during daylight hours but that doesn't help keeping the batteries from cycling if there is a draw at night.

I always keep the van plugged in at night and my inverter supplies a trickle charge that keeps a maintenance charge to all the batteries. My separator stays closed all night and the refrigerator runs off 110 when plugged in.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:03 AM   #3

Garage

daveb,

I thought that the 2003s did not have that feature. How can I check?

TexGX
Old 07-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #4

You would be correct; a 2003 would most likely have a isolator.

The Sure Power Separator 1315 came mid 2004 on SMB's

I believe they are now using a Blue Sea 7620 or 7622 ACR, although I am not sure when the made that change

The isolator will not allow that function, the other two will.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #5

Garage

I will call SMB and see what they are using now. Thanks.

TexGX
Old 07-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #6

Garage

Well called SMB Texas and still waiting on Kevin to call back. I called Peter and he said I would have to completely rewire the system and would only tell me they are using Blue Sea but no model number. I have been reading this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8842

And from what I can make out, the Blue Sea 7620 or 7622 ACR that Scalf77 mentioned there and here is the solution. Is this a pretty easy switch. I am guessing disconnect batteries, remove old isolator and install new blue sea? I also am trying to figure out how the inverter/charger is connected to the Blue Sea to charge when the van is plugged in. What am I missing?

TexGX
Old 07-14-2014, 03:43 PM   #7

Depending on what you have, and looking at the very nice post about the isolators, you can see that you might need to add additional wiring, and maybe fuses. The blue sea has some isolation wires you'd at least need to run to the starting circuit.

I'm guessing that the whole point is that this isolator works in both directions, so that your inverter/converter/solar would simply go to the house battery, engine alternator to start battery per usual. What I don't know is how this would affect the sensing of the solar controller or smart controller on the house side; I suspect not much to matter.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #8

The isolator uses Diodes to allow current to flow in only one direction. That means when the alternator is charging that the current will flow from the alternator and go to both the van battery and house battery systems ( There will be a slight voltage drop across the diodes). When charging your house batteries, the diode in the isolator will block any current from your house charging setup from getting to the van battery or batteries. Of course it does not allow any discharge on you house system to get to you van batteries either.

The Blue Sea is really just a relay, that connects based on the voltage level on each input. Simply put if the voltage is high enough on the house side (meaning you are charging the battery either via Inverter/Charger or Solar Charger it will close the relay putting the batteries in parallel. This will enable you to charge both house and van batteries. The same happens when the alternator is charging.

The isolator goes between the alternator and the Van and house batteries. The Blue Sea ACR goes between House batteries and Van Batteries. You would need to move alternator back stock position
and then add Blue Sea ACR between the two battery systems. Usually the isolator is in the engine compartment, while the ACR is inside the van. Also, because you can now go both ways the wiring most likely should be beefed up to handle possibility of jump starting off of your house battery.

If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me

-greg
Old 07-14-2014, 05:43 PM   #9

Garage

Greg,

Thanks for the info. I think I have it. Now could I do the same thing by adding a separate battery charger to the van. Run power to the 110v system in the van so when it is plugged in, it charges the van batteries(smart charger). This would keep the separation but allow charging both battery systems when plugged in. The only issue I see is if you are running the truck and turn the inverter on. I guess you could add it before the inverter so it only runs when plugged in. I also know you can get chargers that do two batteries. Would it be best to charge both or do like I do now and put the charger on the one in the engine bay?

What would be the best way to connect to the 110 system? Something like this work?

http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-cha ... CK150.html

Thanks for your time and any answers.

TexGX
Old 07-15-2014, 07:10 AM   #10

First question I would ask, is what do you use today to charge your house batteries. You mentioned a inverter, is it inverter/charger or just a charger? Second do you have or do you think that Solar is in your future? If you already have a charger in your inverter then changing to the Blue Sea ACR may be the correct route, especially if you have or plan to have solar.

I would agree you probably don't want it running with inverter running while the alternator is charging. I think your idea of wiring it in before the inverter is the simplest and best solution.You could put a switch on that circuit, or even a relay driven off of van run circuit. I know there are a couple of members that have hardwired in a charger, hopefully they will chime in with their experience.

I believe if you are looking for a house battery charger the Xantrex truecharge2 unit can do multiple batteries.