Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2020, 08:36 AM   #1

Garage
Pics of SMB Lithium install?

Does anyone have pics of a recent Sportsmobile Lithium battery install?

I'm concerned about space usage because we're trying to maximize our fresh water supply. Our 2013 Sprinter (Texas build ...) has two separate battery boxes for the two AGM batteries, thus using up WAY more space than would be required for putting them in one box or just strapping them to the floor under the dinette.

I solved this with the AGMs on my boat by building a custom box for 4-6v . . . . just curious what the Sportsmobile solution is.

Thanks!

Dan

danbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:32 AM   #2

Garage
When I was at SBM west last summer I checked out the new fiberglass body green company van with EB50 floor plan. It had the batteries mounted passenger side, behind the the rear wheel well on the floor. That’s where I ended up mounting mine too.
rizzabove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:51 AM   #3

Garage
Here is the lithium setup in our SMB West Transit that we took delivery in March, 2020. It’s the Expion 360 system . It consists of 3 batteries, each weighing 30# and having 120 AH capacity (total 360). These batteries have an integrated BMS and have 7 year warranty. They are installed on the passenger side to the rear of the galley, Click image for larger version

Name:	DAF5F3D0-9139-4EC2-AFF9-9FB7744F3091.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	36834beneath our platform bed. They are strapped to the floor. Our H2O tank is in on the driver’s side, opposite the battery bank.

2019 Transit 350 HR Eco Quigley 4X4
“Vandemic”
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 01:31 PM   #4

Garage
Scott -

Very cool, exactly what I needed to see, thanks! What's the metal frame in the pic - is that part of a couch/sofa frame or a platform bed or ....?

I know that SMB North will probably do this with a single Relion 300Ah battery . . . so slightly different dimensions . . .

Dan
danbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:13 PM   #5

Garage
The metal frame is for the platform bed. We chose the 3 battery option of the Expion system over Relion for two reasons: 1. 60 more AH, 2. Weight of moving one 300 AH battery (90#) vs. three 120 AH batteries (30# each). Three Battle Born 100 AH units would have also worked, but more expensive (but a 10 year warranty). There are always trade offs ....

2019 Transit 350 HR Eco Quigley 4X4
“Vandemic”
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote