Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2020, 04:13 PM   #1

Please help figure out how to add factory keyless entry!

***IF YOU HAVE FACTORY KEYLESS ENTRY I NEED YOUR HELP! Scroll down the BOLD text to see what I need your help with.***

I’m trying to add keyless entry to my 2010 E350 pass van. Once I figure this out I’m assuming it will work with any 2009-2014 van that did not come with factory remote keyless entry. Hopefully this thread will soon include instructions and part numbers so that others may add factory keyless entry if they desire to go that route.

My van is an XLT and has power door locks. I have purchased the following remotes that should work once I get the other parts needed to complete the system.

STEP 1: Determine if your van is setup for keyless entry. The following steps will indicate whether or not it will be as simple as purchasing remotes and programming them. ***If you cannot enter programming mode, your van is stuck in the same boat that mine currently is.

To program factory remotes (OEM Ford Part# F87B-15K601 AB AA) :

1. CLOSE and UNLOCK vehicle using power door locks.

2. INSERT key into Ignition and TURN from OFF to RUN 8 times within 10 seconds, with the 8th time ending in RUN. Door locks will cycle to confirm Programming Mode.

3. Within 20 seconds press any button on first keyless remote fob. Door locks will cycle to confirm programming.

(Repeat immediately for any additional remotes to be programmed.)

4. Turn ignition to OFF. Locks will again cycle to indicate end of programming mode.5. Test all remotes. Programming is now complete.

***If your vehicle cannot enter programming mode, then you cannot program any remote. This indicates either no keyless entry installed on the vehicle or a defective keyless entry receiver module.

Here is where I’m stuck. I need to figure out what other parts I need in order to complete the system. It’s my understanding that the fuse box is called a Smart Junction Box which among other things, controls power door locks. I need a transceiver so the remotes can talk to the SJB. Looking in the factory electrical systems manual I’ve narrowed it down what I believe to be this part but I do not have a part number.

CAN SOMEONE WITH FACTORY REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY PLEASE HELP DETERMINE THIS PART NUMBER?

I believe the part # is 3W1Z-15607-AA but can you confirm?

I’ve attached a photo of the part and where it would be plugged in. I believe when installed that the part goes around the ignition switch. Hopefully the part number is visible with out disassembly.

To get to the part, remove the panel underneath the steering wheel (mine pops right out with a gentle yank.) you will see a green connector coming from the wiring harness. In my van that is plugged into a dummy connector to keep it from swinging around. If you have factory keyless entry, yours should be plugged into the transceiver that I will purchase once I determine the part number.

As a plan B I can scour a junkyard for a van that has this system and see if I can pull it but I’d rather order the parts from the comfort of my own home. I prefer the digital scavenger hunt right now!

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!
Attached Thumbnails
B4C5BBD3-5702-460B-AE4C-EF9F9F3D3B00.jpg   6D4F706F-3E84-46C8-8DAE-21280D1DB2DD.jpg   32355B86-C16F-4028-943B-4D3C9C1BC3FD.jpg   F5AF0D80-3E18-46AE-ACD5-188ACDE0592B.jpg   95389A46-92B2-4837-85AF-59817615738B.jpeg  

thejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:59 AM   #2

Hoping someone with a 2009-2014 E-Series is able to help identify this part for me! Thanks everyone.
thejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 12:31 PM   #3

That is the part that detects the chip in your key for starting. It lives round the ignition cylinder. Not all vans of this era have it.

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/el...iver-7879765-1

My curiosity is does the Smart Junction box have the right parts to do keyless entry no matter what van, or does this transceiver also serve as the "antenna" for the door remotes.
desertsherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 09:03 AM   #4

I thought all of them of that era were capable of keyless entry. MichaelG is probably the person who would know for sure. Often many of these options just need to be activated within ForScan.
Old 02-27-2022, 09:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Often many of these options just need to be activated within ForScan.
Can you back this statement up with examples or instructions?

What you claim may be true, and I'm about to go down this route

Edit : thejm and I have 2009+ vans, which may put us in a different electronic era than most.
Old 02-27-2022, 10:08 AM   #6

It's been a few years since I was really looking at this stuff closely but from what I remember....

There are two versions of the Smart Junction Box, one with the wireless functionality, one without. I don't remember exactly which van configs came with what options but logically, it would make sense to me that bare bones vans without power locks and without power windows would get the SJB with less functionality. It would also makes sense that if your van has TPMS, you have the wireless functionality in the SJB but the keyless entry is turned off.

The part you have a picture of, as already pointed out, is the RFID chip reader that is only functional on vans with PATS (passive anti-theft system). I don't believe it has any connection to the keyless entry, it's only used as an ignition cut if the right key isn't present.

If your van has power windows and power locks and TPMS, it is likely that you can turn on the keyless entry with Forscan and not need the dealer tool. There's not a lot of information out there about what parts of the As-Built data are related to keyless entry but my guess is that you could find out with a little detective work.

Find a van that's similar to yours that has keyless entry (same drivetrain and as close options wise as possible). Download the As-Built data for that van and your van and run them through the As-Built compare tool (link available through the Forscan helpful links page)

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4393

You'll see side by side all of the differences between the two configurations. the module you're most interested in is #726. In my (years old notes) my guess at the time was that lines 726-04-01 and 726-10-01 might have had something to do with keyless entry.

I've looked at dozens of As-Built files for Ford vehicles. It's tedious and sometimes difficult to find what you're looking for. The last time I used Forscan on an Eseries, there wasn't a great user friendly interface like they have for other vehicles. Maybe with the latest version, that has changed...but don't have high expectations of a big button you click that says "Keyless Entry On".

I have a van here at the shop that is a strange config in that it has no power windows or power locks but it has TPMS. It's a bare-bones passenger van. The only van I've seen with fewer options was a 2010 cargo van...and that van had NUTHIN' besides the parts to make it run.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 10:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsherpa View Post
Edit : thejm and I have 2009+ vans, which may put us in a different electronic era than most.
2009-2014 share the same electrical architecture with very few differences across those years. It's actually very similar all the way up to 2019 but the chassis cabs 2015-19 have a few different things in the As Built data that full body vans didn't.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 10:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
I have a van here at the shop that is a strange config in that it has no power windows or power locks but it has TPMS. It's a bare-bones passenger van. The only van I've seen with fewer options was a 2010 cargo van...and that van had NUTHIN' besides the parts to make it run.
I have a 2009 Cargo EB 6.0 Similar to this config, nothing.
TPMS is there (because I haven't gotten sensors into F-Series wheels).
No RSC (made installing the Expovans 4WD easier)
No Electronics in the doors (I'm hoping the wiring is there in the pillars)
No Trailer Wiring From the Transmission Connector Back, just a 4 pin (grumble).
I just added the up fitter switch wiring into the under dash harness.

This is good to know that if I add the hardware, there may be a soft mod needed to the SJB to get it running.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:07 PM   #9

OK, So I have figured out, and successfully added Power Locks to a bone stock cargo van. All doors, all locks, on a 2009 Van.

The 2009 is the first year of the modern interior, and (I believe) the onset of ford using a Smart Junction Box.

Here is what you are up against in the 2009:
Your Smart Junction Box Lacks the Relays to run the Locks (verified by taking mine apart). You need a replacement.
You need to add wiring from the SJB under dash connectors to the Passenger Side door. I suggest the whole dash harness.
You need to add wiring from the Passenger door to the 60/40 or slider, for operating the locks. This is a easy to install replacment of you harness.
You need door lock actuators.
You need door switches, and door panels that will house them
You need / can get a rear door lock switch. My van, curously, had wiring from the rear door lock swithces all the way to the Smart Junction Box. But only that rear door (WTF Ford).

Here is who I suggest you go about this, to save your self time and money. This is not how I did it.
1) Find a well equipped junkyard van, of a compatible year (I found a 2009 and was stooked). The dead giveaway is the backup sensors on a bumper and the smaller power mirrors switch on the drivers door.

2) From donner van : Pull the dash, and get the entire harness for the dash. Pulling the dash, using the service manual, is not that bad. I've done it. Also pull the Smart Junction Box that lies behind the parking brake.

3) From almost any van :
Pull full doors, or interior door panels (to get power lock switches) and pull the lock actuators from the doors. The brackets from the donor doors are riveted on. So either cut the rivets or order the dorman ones. Either way, you also want the connecting rods from inside the door. You can disconnect the ford solenoids from the bracket by prying the bracket open. Note that these solenoids have MULTIPLE mount points molded on them. When you re-unite the metal bracket with the plastic, find the right mount point. This tripped me up.
Pull the short harness that goes from the passenger foot well under the step to the back doors. This carries the speakers for the rear doors also. My van only had a "door ajar" set of wires, so my new harness has wires for the lock, speaker, and door ajar.

Then:
Using Forscan, download your Smart Junction Box configuration data. You can flash this to the new box. And, you will want to customize while in there.

Assembly is the reverse of disassembly.

Once the new SJB is in the vehicle, use the standard programming procedure (turning the key hokey-pokey) to program remotes. And boom, you can lock all 6 doors from one spot.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:45 PM   #10

Ok.
So here are pictures from a 2009 (modern dash) base model cargo 60/40 cargo van.
This SJB has TPMS, but no other features. This SJB was taken apart to confirm the lack of internal relays to drive the power locks. And then I threw it out.