Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2008, 06:39 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to bgoetting
Plugging SMB into 110v 15 amp

I read warnings about plugging into ordinary 110v 15 amp using an extension cord (even 14 ga cord). I can see the problem if I'm running high amperage appliances but what if I just want to trickle charge the battery (that I just replaced for $570). I previously used a 50' extension cord to keep my camper battery charged. Is this bad for the SMB?

Old 11-30-2008, 06:46 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
We are plugged into 110v 15amp at home using the dog-bone extension all the time. No problems that I can see.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:55 PM   #3

We periodically plug in to 110v, 15A in order to top up the house batteries and also the night before a trip, so that the rather ancient dual voltage fridge can get nice and cold on 110V before we drive off and put it on 12V. Never had any problems. I think you got the key element - as long as you do not draw at or near 15A, the SMB doesn't know the difference. I, too, laid out a lot of $$ for new AGM house batteries and I want them to outlive me!
1972 Mercedes 350SL with 4.5l V-8, just because
Wag more, Bark less, Play well with others.
Psomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:11 AM   #4

I have left mine plugged into 15 amps with the a/c running periodically for 2 years when not otherwise on the road. No problems whatsoever using the Intellichoice charger. It trips my GFI if I do not follow a specific protocol during plug-in with a Tripp Lite Inverter/Charger.

Everything I have read says that batteries must be kept fullt charged to avoid their premature failure.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage
I use a heavy duty industrial extension cord plugged into an 110v circuit to run the inverter/charger and there’s no problem with that. Even a smaller cord would do to run the refrigerator and the charger but I would keep it as short as possible to reduce line loss. A long and/or curled cord can cause problems. I took voltage with the A/C on and it pulled down the voltage too low. I’m installing a 50A service to feed the air conditioner so I can pre-cool the van during summer using an 8 strand copper wire extension cord with 30A plugs minimum.

I should also add that your trickle charger should be able to bring the batteries to the float charge which is about 13.4. Purchasing a high grade charger isn't necessary but if you buy a cheap one and it goes bad you'll wish you would have spent the extra money to buy a quality product. When I charge I keep it to a minimum (just enough to top off the batteries) and let the solar keep the bank at 13.4.
Dave.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote