Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2009, 10:46 PM   #11

Re: Pop Problem

If you've got the time or inclination jage, you might be able to put off the battery purchase if you disconnect the two batteries and just have the "good" one in the circuit. If one of the batteries is bad, it WILL drag down the good one. You'll get more useable amps with one good battery v.s. a set with one bad one. Kind of like a chain. Only as strong as it's weakest link. Still a lot of work though. You might even find out that you can get away with one battery rather then two.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:51 AM   #12

I agree with scatter, moving cables around to one battery would be a good thing to try. a lot of work but worth it in my mind. Of course it's not me pulling the batteries down, but that is what a good floor jack is for.
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #13

I've considered that, but the starters give me enough trouble so I haven't wanted to just play around with it.

Ok, so... say I drop the original, probably bad house battery. It has a negative and postive terminal... what do I do to take it out of or bypass it in the system?
Old 05-19-2009, 08:07 AM   #14

they should be wired in parallel, so if the first in line is bad just bypass by connecting + cables together and the - cables together. If it the last battery, you can disconnect and leave that way but protected. It would be best to remove connections from the first battery.
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #15
Site Team

Garage

I would not leave the batteries in parallel unless both are changed out to new ones of the same age, make, and model. If one battery is newer and you want to run it until it's death it would be best to separate them via a battery switch and use each battery as a single battery (unless they are cheap cost wise). Most 4D batteries are expensive and sticking a older battery with a newer one only shortens the life of the entire bank which is too costly IMO.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #16

Yup, I'd find out which one is the bad one (probably, but not necessarily, the oldest) and disconnect it from the system. Just put the plus and minus cables to where they are now and remove the two cables that are used to tie the two batteries in parallel and save those cables for when you put in two batteries again. As was mentioned jage, not a good idea to have two different age or type batteries hooked together whether it be in parallel or series. The older, weaker one will always drag down the good one. (This goes for us diesel guys with two starting batteries too.) I would think it would be better to live with one battery till it goes bad and then get two new ones at the same time if you feel you need the extra capacity. Nuther thot, ya might be able to sell your one "good" battery at a discount to someone and then break the piggy bank and get two batteries now??
Also, if the bad battery is not needed to help hold the good one in place, I'd pull it out of there and save dragging all that weight around. But save it for a "trade in" at a later date. Lots of places will hit you a charge if you don't have an old one to turn in.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:50 PM   #17

Well cost issues aside, if I'm replacing both batteries I'm going to take the time to remove the 2nd one from inside the closet and relocate it to underneath- there is plenty of room and it would center the load. Blah, blah, I wanted it there in the first place. Lots of reasons.

However the lifting and fabricating capacity is way beyond my means. I've trimmed the garage heavies twice in the last 3 years and we're moving again in a few months, so no bringing extra tools home for a bit...

Then add back in the cost and living with one (or none) turns into a real ... well, necessary option.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:26 AM   #18

I managed to wrangle the lifeline cover off without dropping the "bad" battery and removed both terminals. With the terminals removed the "bad" battery is reading 11.55v.

I have 12.0 volts across the empty terminals, and 12.20 volts in the house side of the van. Before removing the house voltage was reading 12.35. The van has been sitting without shore power.

So, my next move is to bind up the positive terminal and secure both loose terminals under the van, switch the system from 400Ah to 200Ah and plug back in? From what I read it sounds like this was the second in line (getting to the first to just remove the extra + cable is impossible).

After a day or so on shore power I'm going to test the top and see if there is still a mega drain with just one battery.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:04 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

That sounds like a good plan.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:13 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

....on the positive side.... just think about the future and the toast that two functioning 4Ds will be able to make !!
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote