Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: Portable battery, good for jump starts

Well I got a dead Optima in one of my vehicles that I'll try to jump. What I notice in the video is the battery has been disconnected. A dead battery will suck up a bit of the reserves itself. The truck is over at my other property but needs to be smog checked next month so before I put in the new battery I'll give this little thing a go just to see how much it can handle. If I can leave it connected to the battery for 30 minutes and the truck can turn over on its own w/o the jump start and still have power to spare that will tell me more about what it can really do. For being a power supply, I was thinking of sticking a couple together for a little more juice. Works good on my go-to scope mounts but they don't pull hardly any amps. We'll see. I didn't purchase it for jumping vehicles. I paid 118 for the package.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:37 PM   #12

I'd be interested to see if using one to essentially partially charge a dead battery vs a short burst works. I think they are optimized for like 130C, which means a very short but high amp burst, which of course substantially depletes the battery of jump starter. But I also think one of the beauties of this type of lithium is that it also can do a very decent slow discharge too; not as good as the LiFePOs but pretty fair. I seem to recall hearing someone used one in lieu of a battery with a wonky alternator, and it kept up.

And what size cables DO they come with?
Old 05-26-2014, 02:50 PM   #13
Site Team

Doesn't provide wire gauge unfortunately.

http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/mi ... rt-clamps/

Herb
Old 05-26-2014, 06:10 PM   #14

Note that there are two versions, the smaller one doesn't include the 19.2v laptop output.

There was a review in one of the 4x4 magazines last month.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
...And what size cables DO they come with?
I e-mailed AntiGravity batteries, and they replied (very quickly I might add) that they utilize 10 gauge wires.

Herb
Old 05-27-2014, 10:57 AM   #16

If the cables are short the size doesn't matter so much as the resistance will still be pretty low and the heat is generated for a fairly short duration.

Yeah if I was jumping a diesel I'd try to find a way to disconnect the 2nd battery.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:34 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

These things are not made for jumping large engine vehicles, especially those with fully dead batteries. The jumper wires would melt down. They're for assist starting where the battery is trying to turn over the engine but needs a boost. Sure the video shows turning over a motorcycle several times then moving to a V-6 but as I mentioned, they've taken the bad battery out of the loop. The question I'd like to know would be what does my starter pull in amperage and with the battery in the loop, what will it take away from the little battery. The battery clips are fused and I don't know at what amperage.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:00 PM   #18

Really good question Dave.

I know that once with my battery disconnected even some relatively beefy jumper cables (probably larger than 4 AWG for sure) about 10' long couldn't turn over my gasser from a fully charged battery.

The unit can throw a few hundred amps. I note that the battery spec'd for my van is rated at over three times that. Diesels, especially very cold diesels, would be worse.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:30 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage

Rob, I had lost the little jumper cables I had for the battery but found them in my Harley (which I haven't rode in a couple years ) saddle bags. So I took the cables and battery over to my buddies house and tried to jump start his tractor...blew the jumper cable fuses. Should have figured. It wasn't a huge tractor but wasn't a little one either. The battery it uses is the size of a 4-D and was dead dead dead. I was surprised that is did crank over the engine for several seconds. His big jump starter battery wouldn't even budge the starter. O-well but both of us were surprised. I ordered another set of jumpers for my bike. The manufacture couldn't tell me what the fuse is rated at. Wish I knew, I'd cut in a breaker rated slightly lower than the fuse.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:56 PM   #20

Used it on my ktm 990 adventure sunday afternoon. Worked great- except the jumper cables were too thick to connect securely. Had to hold them by hand while someone else hit the button.
ohpyramids is offline   Reply With Quote