Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #21

Re: Portable battery, good for jump starts

I was just at the shop that did my brakes and they have one and they use it for everything they say, no issues.

They also said you can use it in an emergency if your alternator dies and you need to get your car to the shop, just hook it up and make sure it is somewhere where it won't move around under the hood.

Anyway, I'm sold - just can't decide which version to get.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:14 PM   #22
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
I was just at the shop that did my brakes and they have one and they use it for everything they say, no issues.

They also said you can use it in an emergency if your alternator dies and you need to get your car to the shop, just hook it up and make sure it is somewhere where it won't move around under the hood.

I'd say the one with the most amp hours. I got the old one and if there is a better unit out there I'd go for that. I have an LX-200 10 and 7 inch scope I use it on. After a full night (just the drive-no dew heaters) I still have at least 1/2 the battery reserves and I'm moving the scope a lot. You got to love the compact nature of the thing and it charges fairly quick. Having an extra jump starter is also a big plus for jumping dead batteries mainly the smaller engines but a boost is a boost. Great for bikes. It is limited on amp draw though and is its main issue.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC

I'd say the one with the most amp hours. I got the old one and if there is a better unit out there I'd go for that. I have an LX-200 10 and 7 inch scope I use it on. After a full night (just the drive-no dew heaters) I still have at least 1/2 the battery reserves and I'm moving the scope a lot. You got to love the compact nature of the thing and it charges fairly quick. Having an extra jump starter is also a big plus for jumping dead batteries mainly the smaller engines but a boost is a boost. Great for bikes. It is limited on amp draw though and is its main issue.
They don't list the Ah for the batteries. Both the XP1 and XP3 are rated for 200A cont/400A peak delivery for starting.

I will send them a mail and ask them about amp hour capacity if I think of it.

The XP1 has a 19.2V and 12V output port for laptops/whatever. The XP3 does not, just USB etc.

7 inch LX200? Thought they only made 8/10/12 etc.

Do we have a telescope thread? If not we need one!
My home setup is an Astro-Phyics 1200 mount with a Celestron C14 XLT.
My portable setup is an Astro-Physics 900 mount with a William Optics FLT132 apo.
I also have an 8" LX200 for quick trips.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #24
Site Team

Garage

If you can get them to disclose the fuse rating in the battery clamps I'd love to know. The guys I bought it from are either tight lipped or just don't know anything about them.

A little off topic, but I wonder how many on the site are in to astronomy?
You have some great equipment there and who wouldn't want an AP mount...first class stuff. I could sure use a 14" SCT around here and really want something like that in the future...In town light pollution sucks I'd also like to get a large refractor and nicer mount one of these days but I really need more of a light bucket for the home pad.

The LX-200 7" I have is a Maksutov and my main travel scope I use for public outings most of the time. I also have an NP-101 I use visually on a I-Optron Alt/Az, an FSQ-106 on a MI250 for imaging and a TV-85 that is in the van with a set of digital setting circles that doubles as my spotting scope. I have a few older cameras but am still a novice especially in the processing world. I use a GM-8 as my portable imaging platform. I'm in the process of remodeling my 2nd home and plan some kind of observatory that I can enjoy W/O the hassle of setup times.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:57 PM   #25

I have a 10' x 16' slide-open roof observatory at home I built, and a trailer which I use to carry my portable gear behind the SMB. (got too much to fit in it!)

Old 06-07-2014, 11:00 PM   #26
Site Team

Garage

I'm headed your way one of these days...gotta do it.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:24 AM   #27
Site Team

Antigravity Batteries website mentions a new Micro Start coming out, and I read elsewhere that it was designed to be able to start large diesel engines. Here's the screenshot that shows the available current, and the battery capacity. It was due out in July 2014, and I haven't been able to find it, so I called them and they said another few months. Their quality control people didn't think the case was sturdy enough.

Herb
Old 01-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #28
Site Team

Garage

Yeah I've been waiting for it. I've used mine several times now for jumping and all sorts of other stuff. Got to use it in Yosemite to jump a couple visiting from outside the US when I was up there with 1der (Ray). Sure a lot better than messing with cables but it sure is a handy pint sized power supply too.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:24 PM   #29

Just as a data point, I've started (a friend's) V-10 with both the XP-1 and XP-3. This was done on purpose as an experiment, and it was in moderate weather (around 50ºF). Started right up on both. (I understand that a diesel needs more oomph, but for those with gas engines...)

The XP-1 has better options for laptops and etc (than the XP-3), so I'm going to get one to carry with me.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:01 PM   #30

I got the XP-3.