Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2021, 01:27 PM   #21

To qualify, No electrician here!

2008 E250 2 WD, Tripp Lite, Sure Power bi-directional isolator, 2 100 amp/hr Lifeline AMG. Balmar monitor with shunt & blue tooth connection.

Thinking about this due to economy of space.

https://www.acopower.com/collections...ltk-3x40wpx20a

My question is connections. Can I go directly to the house battery? Supplied with alligator clips. May do something more elligent if it works well. I like Greg's receptacle hook up under the utility hatch. Would monitor power supplied to batteries be more accurate this way?

Beejmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:55 PM   #22

If you battery clip directly to the battery your Balmar shunt wont see (read) the current going in. You would want to make sure you are connected to the load side of the shunt for you to read the current supplied by the panel. How easy it is to make those connections would determine how long I would do that before going with a permanent solution.

In my case the connector is used for PV panels, but you could use it for the output of the controller if you wanted, obviously wiring into the 12 volt system versus wiring into the PV input of a existing controller.

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:22 PM   #23

Helpful; connect red lead to load side of the shunt. With this connection would isolator function to have solar charge both house & van batteries? Is there anything else I should be considering?
As always, Thank you for sharing,
BJM
Beejmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:41 PM   #24

No the red can go direct to battery, the black lead need to go to load side shunt, Remember the shunt is on the ground side of battery. This should allow the solar controller to charge both systems if that is what you want.

greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:44 PM   #25

Garage
Beejmac, Pretty confident you'll like the Acopower 120 panels - they function great, but only come with a 20 or 25 cable (which isn't much)... I would suggest you get an extension cable (with MC4 connectors so its compatible with what you are purchasing) of at least 50ft so you aren't so restricted in your attempt to reach sunlight.