Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2019, 02:09 PM   #1

Portable solar questions

I have a 2014 Sportsmobile E350 that I bought new. It has a single solar panel on the roof rack. I also had a portable solar connection port installed on the driver’s side rear quarter panel.
Now I want to get a portable solar panel. I’m looking for recommendations on which panel to buy and I also have a question: Do I need an additional controller or can I just plug it into the port that Sportsmobile installed?

Thanks,
Frank

SFfranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:23 PM   #2

Our portable kit is by Overland Solar. Very rugged and easy to setup. Comes with its own controller so you should be able to just plug it into the port that you have on your van.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post
Our portable kit is by Overland Solar. Very rugged and easy to setup. Comes with its own controller so you should be able to just plug it into the port that you have on your van.
Maybe yes, maybe no. It depends if the port that SMB installed is in parallel to the existing panel. If it is than, you would not need a controller, nor would you want one. If the panel is just port to the battery one with a controller would work. I would think the port would be in parallel to the existing panel, and the existing controller would work.

You would like to match your new portable panel as closely to the existing panel as possible. Normally that info is on back of panel. Is it zamp setup? I think they have some funky reverse polarity issue you may have to sort out.

greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:29 PM   #4

Garage
We went this direction - but also use a 75ft 10AWG cable. the loger cable simply to reach sunshine (most cables are 20 or 30ft, and if you walk that off its not far). I also purchased MC4 "Y" connectors because I'm planning on getting another such suitcase and connecting next to the first panel with an additional 25ft cable. Nice part about these units are very compact when folded, and dont weigh anything. I've hung mine from tree branches, off the side of the Van, and even walked the panel to the river and floated them on Tubes anchored in the water...had to because it was the only place to access sun (trees all around). The fact they are so light weight IMO makes them more convenient & versatile.

https://www.amazon.com/ACOPOWER-Port...K4WD095A0DSG91