Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2021, 09:51 PM   #1

Positive Post Van Starter Battery

When replacing battery on our 2015 Sprinter Sportsmobile I was surprised to see a number of wires running off a buss attached to the + post. I have attached a photo and am asking for an explanation. I do not understand what is happening here.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0860.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	38687

SwiftRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:59 AM   #2

I am answering my own question. The service tech at my Sprinter Dealership tells me that the bundle of wires in question is part of the OEM.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:12 PM   #3

Yep, looks OEM to me.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:59 PM   #4

Why I asked

I am replacing the original AGM batteries with Lithium. Should be somewhat straight forward. Right? Wrong! Sportsmobile in Indiana built the Van and when it came to documenting the wiring they did nothing. No wires are labeled, only 1 buss, all other connections are bolted together and tapped, no battery or load shutoff switches. So disappointing. As a result I am tracking down every wire. Have a look:
Attached Thumbnails
DC Wiring.jpg  
Old 03-11-2021, 07:58 PM   #5

That is standard sportsmobile, I always get a kick out of the flying bolt Y connection. Has your BMK worked correctly? And could they please use some consistency with wire cables.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
That is standard sportsmobile, I always get a kick out of the flying bolt Y connection. Has your BMK worked correctly? And could they please use some consistency with wire cables.

-greg
Yes, the Magnum BMK has worked well as have all other systems. The issue is that when a system fails and the documentation is lousy the repair becomes a nightmare. I have been lucky.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:29 PM   #7

Is the bolt y connector on the ground wire? Is one going to the battery and one going to the shunt? It is hard to tell in the photos, but it looks like the magnum would be on the wrong side of the shunt. Again, hard to tell in the photo.

-greg
Old 03-12-2021, 08:22 AM   #8

Shunt

See the attached photo. The shunt is off the (-) terminal;' which is correct. I really dislike the taped up connections. That is what used to be done in the 1930s. IMO all connections should be at a buss. I wonder if the taped y-connector even meets code?
Attached Thumbnails
Shunt.jpg  
Old 03-12-2021, 01:42 PM   #9

So what I see, is one side of the shunt going to frame ground. The other side has the Y connection one goes to the negative terminal of the battery? The other goes to the Inverter/Charger. If that is true, both inverter and charging are going thru the shunt. Anything else that goes to the frame would come in across the shunt via the ground connection which would be correct.

Again, that is how I am interpreting the photo. Wouldn't be the first time they messed up the shunt install.

-greg
Old 03-12-2021, 02:45 PM   #10

???

And the positive side runs through a fuse and then to the inverter. Isn't that what is shown in the schematic from the MagnaSine manual? The opposite side off the shunt goes to ground. That is correct? How should it be?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0881.jpg