Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #1

Power Inverter Reccomendation

I have no idea what brand power inverter to buy.

Any recommendations for selecting a reliable one that is safe for a laptop and maybe run a coffee maker once in a while? I've been burned by many a cheap modified wave inverter.

Sunforce and Xantrex seem to a lot of good reviews, then some say they are not so good.

To me, these ones seem to be pretty solid:

Sunforce 11240 1000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter with Remote Control
http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-11240...+wave+inverter

Xantrex Prowatt SW1000 1000W True Sinewave Inverter
http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-Prowat...+wave+inverter

Thanks

Old 07-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #2

Re: Power Inverter Reccomendation

I'm extremely happy with my MorningStar SureSine (http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/sure-sine). It's pure-sine and seems solidly built. The specifications and efficiency are better than most competitors. This inverter provides 300W continuous (600W peak). That's plenty for a laptop, but you'll want to double check your coffee maker.
Advanturetrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #3

My Tripp Lite works pretty well, it's an RV 1500 watt MSW I think. Just keep in mind that AC coffee pots suck a LOT of juice. I usually idle my van at least when making coffee, and more often than that since my batteries are low after running fridge/furnace/etc all night, I'll just fire up my little Honda generator. I was just looking at 12V coffee pots and they seem to all have horrible reviews.
I keep an old GSI coffee press in the van if I'm boondocking for a few days and just boil water for it with propane.
FWIW, I had a very LOUD Cobra interter before this and it did great. For $100 I was pretty happy with it, but the fan and beeps were super loud.

Good luck!

86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #4

We have two inverters: a 1000 watt Tripp Lite and 100 watt something. They are wired into the electrical wiring with switches so I have a choice of which to use. Inverters are about 80% efficient so I don't want to use the 1000 watt inverter when I am using a low amp draw device like a laptop or camera battery charger. On the other hand I need the 1000 watt when when using a hot pot.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS
We have two inverters: a 1000 watt Tripp Lite and 100 watt something. They are wired into the electrical wiring with switches so I have a choice of which to use. Inverters are about 80% efficient so I don't want to use the 1000 watt inverter when I am using a low amp draw device like a laptop or camera battery charger. On the other hand I need the 1000 watt when when using a hot pot.
Thank you for this post! This is exactly what I am thinking of doing now that my Xantrex 2500W Prosine has bit the dust.

If you haven't already posted it, may I ask you what you are using for a charger?
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #6

[/quote] Thank you for this post! This is exactly what I am thinking of doing now that my Xantrex 2500W Prosine has bit the dust.

If you haven't already posted it, may I ask you what you are using for a charger?[/quote]

I use a $60 Cliplight 12 Volt 10 Amp Battery Charger. It is hard wired in under our sink and its controls have been moved to a surface on a cabinet for easy use.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote