Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2021, 10:05 AM   #1
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Power Tool Inverter Suggestions?

So finally may be forced into adding an inverter which isn't a huge deal---kinda surprised I've not faced this long, long before now.

Absolutely need something delivering up to 2K Watts that will successfully power a Milwaukee brand variable speed Sawzall type device. I don't think it actually pulls its rated 13 amps @ 120 VAC so the 2K Watt version would work fine.

This will never be used for any "sensitive" electronics so I'm pretty sure the pure sine wave versions aren't needed---or am I wrong there? One of my vendor's sells the Krieger brand whose website seems to say their 2K Watt model isn't advised due the variable speed of my tool.

Price isn't a huge or sole determining factor but with a very, very limited use I want a quality device up to the task, something without the latest & greatest features I'd rarely use.

TIA Guys and & Gals!

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 08:37 AM   #2
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Power Tool Inverter Suggestions?

Not saying you shouldn’t add an inverter to be able to power up off the van, but that’s a tall order to run a tool like that. You’d have to either have the van running on a high idle setting with an upgraded alternator to keep up or have a fairly large battery bank and solar array.
You’d be better off running that saw off a portable generator or look at some of the new cordless sawzalls and use the inverter to charge the batteries up.
Take a look at the Xantrex Freedom XC 2000 or the pro model
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:20 AM   #3
JWA

I was and still am very concerned my tool is too high a demand for most "affordable" inverters and thanks for the advice.

I will add the newer Peterbilt big trucks have factory-installed inverters that will easily run my tool---have used one and it works surprisingly well. Of course those trucks have 8-10 batteries and substantial alternators which might be the reason there.

I have considered wiring up a "jump box" with battery cable alligator or parrot clamps and connect it to my customer's trucks with engine running. The inverter input cables would be no more than 36" long, my tool cable length 10' or less. The tool is typically in action maybe 20-25 minutes each job. This idea would be temporary and as mentioned used as such.

My tools are fairly specific to my job and while Milwaukee manufactured are modified by another outfit so they accommodate their intended task. That outfit (Equalizer.com) doesn't really off powerful tools I require in a cordless configuration. I'll add the tools they DO have are of DeWalt manufacture that I consider pure junk in my trade.

Generator-wise I need an off-grid power source MAYBE twice a year so that's a big consideration. I'd own nothing but a Honda so having a $2K tool sitting around 99% of the year just doesn't sit well with me. Plus if I did own a Honda I'd immediately convert it to run on propane so there's another $300 +.

I might be able to test use a Kreiger 2K inverter already installed in a big truck---that brand mentioned only because one of my customers sells and installs that brand regularly. They're a full service mechanical shop and add or replace accessories like inverters quite often.

This just won't be easy will it?
Old 01-17-2021, 10:01 AM   #4

Ever thought of getting Milwaukee 18v tools instead? Then all you would need to do is be able to charge the batteries (assuming you used the tools enough to need a recharge). The Milwaukee line of 18v tools is pretty impressive. I have both the corded and cordless sawzall. I can't think of the last time I used the corded one.
rescuejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:45 AM   #5
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuejg View Post
Ever thought of getting Milwaukee 18v tools instead? Then all you would need to do is be able to charge the batteries (assuming you used the tools enough to need a recharge). The Milwaukee line of 18v tools is pretty impressive. I have both the corded and cordless sawzall. I can't think of the last time I used the corded one.
As I said in my reply just previous to your's my Milwakee tools are NOT "off the shelf" versions as most users own. The 18V offerings are not configured for my line of work or how they're used.

I currently own three Milwaukee 18V tools and they are indeed awecome. The 18 volt 1/2" drive impact makes easy work of anything I've throw at it so far.