Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2017, 09:23 AM   #1

Preferences for Capacity/style of Fridge-freezers

Since this is lead in to takeoff and ordering my electrical materials I'll post these questions here.

[home-build, storage under bed with cabinet enclosures minimal to none]

What capacity and style of fridge-freezer do you like?
Upright, front door...... Top loading...... Drawer style.......Portable....

How well does your freezer work?

Do you use the freezer for more than ice cubes?

Anything you would do differently next time as far as refrigeration?

Thanks!

Old 03-29-2017, 11:26 AM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
Since this is lead in to takeoff and ordering my electrical materials I'll post these questions here.

[home-build, storage under bed with cabinet enclosures minimal to none]

What capacity and style of fridge-freezer do you like?
Upright, front door...... Top loading...... Drawer style.......Portable....

How well does your freezer work?

Do you use the freezer for more than ice cubes?

Anything you would do differently next time as far as refrigeration?

Thanks!
Never tried a top loader but have considered switching to one. One friend suggests that the cold stays inside a top loader compared to an upright which lets the cold spill out when the door is open. My main gripe with my upright is it sits at floor level. Never again. On the other hand a top loader would seem to be easier to deal with at a lower position. I have the larger Norcold 4cf (IIRC) model which is the next size up from a standard size SMB installs. It has shelving on the door that can be adjusted so you can get a 1/2 a gal of milk in there and still have an upper shelf. The door temps are higher than the middle inside temps especially during hotter days so there is a method of packing depending on the outside air temp. The freezer is more suited for keeping frozen stuff frozen...I don't know how well the rest of the stuff in there would do if you decided to say throw in a tri-tip you just bought from the meat counter. I tried to take ice cream once. It stayed frozen but to keep it that way the temperature control has to be set high resulting in food freezing in the main part of the fridge. IMO the ice tray is not worth the space it takes up. I just fill a zip-lock with ice and throw it in the freezer for my beverages.

During one of my SMBW visits, I saw two smaller units (one on top of the other) which got me to thinkin. You'd have more space, if one failed, you'd have a backup, and you could have better temp controls. The issue of power would be interesting to look at. My newer Norcold pulls higher amps as compared to the original...(there's a post about power consumption) but it's a big negative with me ever going back to a Norcold. Noise is another factor and more than once I've had a passenger ask what's that weird sound? It doesn't vibrate like the old one but makes kind of a swishing noise along with a fan that kicks on and off. It doesn't bother me sleeping up top but might be an issue for some.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:51 AM   #3

I purchased a Dometic top loader from Campingworld.com several months ago and have been really happy with it. I've done several trips with it and have been very pleased. Its a 60 with fridge and freezer and doesn't phase my Goal Zero Yeti 400 with 60 watts of solar panels. Very quiet and construction seems to be good. I'd recommend it.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:30 PM   #4

Garage
I have a Dometic RM2354. It is a 3-way that runs on 110v, 12v or propane. It is larger one and I like the capacity for longer outings. I use the freezer to keep things frozen, I put them in frozen and they stay frozen for the entire trip. I also like the propane operation, I know there are some drawbacks to propane fridges, but mine has worked well with no issues. It uses very little propane to operate.