Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2021, 10:50 AM   #1

Programming Prosine 2.0 and new Battleborn LiFePo4+ batterieis

I realize now it has been maybe 5 years since I posted here. Time flies.

My Prosine2.0 is pre-lithium iron phosphate batteries. After successful installation and reading the specs of the batteries, I created a custom charging profile.

Anyone already having done this procedure, please let me know your custom settings. Battleborn/Lithium batteries.

-They are absorbtion batteries - so equalization is off, per manufacture advice (by phone).
-I set the voltage reduction to temperature to minimal allowed by their computer. Batteries are flat until very cold and the batteries have their own management system anyway.
-Charge amperage set to maximum - 100A.

Questions

Absorbtion - threshold current: 3.0%C (I have no clue)
Bulk - maximum current: 50%C (the battery spec says 0.5C - this seems logical)
Bult - Threshold Timeout: 3 min (no clue)
Bulk threshold (is this ideal setting or minimal setting? Ideal is 14.6V)

There are many other settings as well. I do not wish to reinvent the wheel.

Different topic: Other item to consider

I placed a 4 way master power switch (marine) - kept the old battery/alternator relay - for emergency engine battery jump. Then installed a 12v-12V 120A charging for my 370A alternator. (Cables are all 1/0 gauge) The latter is what will be used outside emergency jump situation.

Pain in the ass to rewire.

Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 11:42 AM   #2

Hi Ketcham,
I am planning to do the same thing with my system. I’ve been wondering if it was possible to do with our inverters. How is your system working? Did you end up keeping the automatic charge relay in the system? Any info would be helpful to me.
Thanks in advance Malcolm.
malcolmkegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:28 PM   #3

Malcolm

Dang - if we think about it, we have owned our vans before phone video conferencing.

Call me (503 292 5592) and I will show you what I did - it would just be easier.

This is what I did without any issues so far.

I did install Sterling Power BBW12120 120amp Battery to Battery Charger 12V to 12V charger which was very easy AND kept the old automatic charge relay that can be manually activated and simultaneously deactivate the 12V-12V charger - allowing for an internal jump of engine batteries. Note: 370A alternator is installed. Also, the 12V-12V charger has an accessory remote control panel (Sterling Power BBRCN) that allowed me to customize specific charging parameters of Battleborne, per factory recommendations.

Order from: mmarineonline.com NOTE: this is the primary charging of my batteries. Solar second, and easy to adjust settings. Using the inverter as a charger is used only while in storage, but honestly, LiFePO4 is best stored significantly less than full capacity.

I also used the industrial temperature controller to turn on and off the Battleborn heating system - this was referenced elsewhere on this forum and I will not give further details here.

OH! AND a shout out to Rixen Enterprises - https://rixens.com/ - they sell all Espar systems nationwide. -- Are designing and sell a 280Ah battery with the same footprint as one 100Ah Battleborn (1" taller at most). Also great for rebuilding ESPAR, great YouTube videos for self-maintenance, etc.

Prosign Custom battery settings:

NOTE: Absorption max timeout - 30 min per battery. 2 batteries 60 min, 4 batteries 120 min. I have three batteries, there is no 90 min option on my ProSine 2.0 firmware. So 60 minutes is the setting.

(BattleBorn Factory said settings below are all good!)

Load sense power 100W
Load sense interval 1 sec
Inverter low shut down 10.6V
Warning 0.5V

Battery size 300Ah - three batteries, 12V series
Default batter temp 20 degree centigrade
Battery temp Coefficient -5.55mV/*F (smallest setting)
Bulk maximum V 14.6V
Bulk maximum current 50.0% C
Bulk Threshold Voltage 14.4V
Bulk Threshold Timeout 3 min
Absorption Max Voltage 14.6V
Absorption max current 50.0% C
Absorption max timeout 1 hr
Absorption threshold current 20.0%C
Absorption threshold timeout 3 min
Overcharge maximum 14.7V
Overcharge maximum current 0.55% C
Overcharge maximum timeout 1 hour
Float charge maximum 13.8V
Float charge maximum current 200% C
Float maximum time out 21 days
Float threshold voltage 13.6V
Float threshold timeout 15 min
(Equalization is set to off)
Constant voltage setpoint 14.4V
Constant current setpoint 100.0 A

Charger type 3 step.
Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 04:02 PM   #4

Thanks Man!
Good to know it can be done. I really appreciate all the info, I wasn’t expecting the level of detail, so thanks again. I will take you up on a phone call if you don’t mind? At some point. I haven’t started my upgrade yet but it is inevitable.
Cheers Malcolm.
Old 10-30-2021, 01:43 PM   #5

Hope you’re doing great! Thanks again for the setting you sent me.
How are they working out for you?
Malcolm

Tags
lifepo4+, prosine 2.0