Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2019, 09:49 AM   #21

It's working!!!

I went out to the van and moved the cables so that the inverter and battery connections are on opposite sides of the shunt. I followed Greg's (Scalf77) advice and placed the inverter connection on the same side of the shunt where the vehicle ground is connected.

I had to ensure that the blue and orange wires were on the correct sides of the shunt with the blue wire connected to the battery side.

It took less than 10 minutes to make the changes and when I powered it up and went to the DC amps meter on the remote panel I could immediately see the amp readings changing as I turned on things in the van. I discovered that if I turn on all the lights, the fridge, the vent fan and start up the Espar D5 hydronic Comfort Hot system, I am drawing about 21.5 amps. Nice to know.

I also started up the van and engaged the high idle to charge the batteries via the second alternator. I could immediately see that the alternator was pushing almost 8 amps to the battery bank. Great to finally see that.

I finally went to the SOC meter reading and watched as the SOC went from 100% to 98% as I continued to draw from the batteries with all the DC loads turned on in the van. Everything seems to be working fine now with the wiring changes to the shunt.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I'm now documenting the changes I made to send to Sportsmobile North. Hopefully, that may save someone else from having the same issue.

grinnelljd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:57 AM   #22

Excellent!
Old 04-29-2019, 11:27 AM   #23

Another quick question.

1der's Post #12 shows Figure 2-3, the Sense Module Connections.

I am curious where the black wire on Terminal #3 of the Sense Module lands. I can see the Sense Module but I can't see this wire in the final "It's working" picture...

The Magnum literature says to take it to Battery Negative. Looking at the picture and based on where everything is located, logic (at least my logic!) would say to connect it to the shunt. If so, which side? Looking at the last picture, it would seem that Negative from Battery along with the Terminal #1 blue sense wire would be the place to make this connection. Is that correct? If so, that means Sense Module Terminals 1 and 3 are connected and that just doesn't make sense to me....

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-29-2019, 09:32 PM   #24

The sense modules 1 & 2 just read the voltage drop across the resister, which is why the polarity matters. Terminal 3 is the ground and terminal 4 is the power and voltage reading cable. Generally, the closer those terminals are to the battery the more accurate the reading will be.

If wired to the battery side of the shunt, the shunt will not read the current being used by the device. It is generally a small load and the same for charging* and discharging.
If you want to read that current, you would need to go to the load side, the battery voltage would be off by the mV across the resister and the drop by the length and sized of the wire. This accuracy would be change with the current load, so the general excepted practice is to go for voltage accuracy.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:17 PM   #25

Greg,

I think the short answer to my question is to go for voltage accuracy by connecting to the Negative from Battery ( blue sense wire) side of the shunt. Correct?
Old 04-30-2019, 06:04 AM   #26

Yes, or go directly to the battery. I generally don't like a lot going to the battery post, but make an exception for voltage reading devices.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote