Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #1

Radio Forum ?

Was looking for the Forum under Electrical/Electronics for Radio forum... any help?

GMAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Radio Forum ?

Only several members who have radios. You can use the search to find posts about Ham radio or just look through the site. Most all the post about communication radio should be on this page.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #3

Re: Radio Forum ? ham radio for outings/safety

I am suprised that more owners are not getting ham radio licenses for both the long range capabilities as well as the VHF/UHF short range with repeaters and land lines attached. I know we went out to a camp site with the group... and nada on the cell phones... but we did manage to get a message (one of the vans broke down) to have someone bring the part needed to get it back up and run'n again. So the advantages of ham radio is their as well as most ham radio sets now also cover the CB band... but don't tell anyone... as its not supposed to be... (I deny any knowledge of such matters to anyone with a badge... )

We have come up with a way to mount the high sierra HF (low band) antenna to the back left of the van using the trailer hitch tube.

We don't have the pop top ...nor do we want it...so we also were looking at a roof rack similar to the weatherguard to which we will add the 2/440 ham and CB antenna on the center of the front xbar.... and the side awnings on the sides and rear of the van. to which we plan on having a cargo rack built up on it too. That way all the off road stuff can be kept up top side along with the viewing platform... grin

Now if we can just find a way to mount the honda 2000i under the van along the side without cutting into it we would be golden... so to speak
Old 02-27-2011, 11:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAs
Was looking for the Forum under Electrical/Electronics for Radio forum... any help?
You may already know about it, but Expedition Portal has a pretty good radio forum.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/f ... y.php?f=47
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:50 AM   #5

Re: Radio Forum ? ham radio for outings/safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAs
Now if we can just find a way to mount the honda 2000i under the van along the side without cutting into it we would be golden... so to speak
Take it out of that pretty plastic shell. I bet it's smaller and you can split it up.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:10 PM   #6

But isn't that shell part of its soundproofing?
Old 03-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #7

Re: Radio Forum antenna location

Ok... hate to punch holes in the van roof top... ya I know the NMO mount for the UHF/VHF stuff works fine but... what about the CB stick AND the 2/440 antenna..

As to the HF antenna I think we are going to stick with the high sierra center loaded whip for the back/front quarter. I have been under and looking closely at the trailer hitch tow bar... while it does have a angle on the side.. I have gone ahead and made up a adapter that fits into the sq bar as well as it turns back to where the antenna mount is 90 deg to the side panel. Best that I can come up with right now... (should be able to get away with just one 5/8 bolt holding it on...) but I am sure the rock and roll clearance from behind the wheel might become a issue in the future. I don't have a rear tire carrier... and as one can assume right now I am not into mod'n the van to be a one of a kind sort of thing. The RG213 Coax will run in the left frame rail to the rear from under the driver seat back... and through the mount...as one piece with connector for the HS antenna only being exposed.

As to the cb and 2/440 antenna... I am looking at a pare of roof racks from allweather... or something like that... I got a set (2) of them from craigs list for 30 bux... but they need to be cleaned and some of the attachment hardware needs to be re-bent back to orginal... must have come off a wreck is all I can figure out.

To which now I am looking serious at the antennas being mounted to them... as well as the roof rack that I will make up... with the driving lights up front... side/rear light for camping... and back up lights /work lights for the rear... I have also been thinking along the lines of attaching the awnings to the sides and rear for additional shade when camping. .. and of course the old off road jack, shovel, axe... and room for the utility box... chain saw (who cuts fire wood with a axe these days?? /tow accessories up on top... up high keeps little fingers from getting into it when parked... (ya I know about the top heavy sway and problems with handling.. but... keep it light... is the motto...

All this then is mounted in the gutter rail system that the org manufacture designed... I think then if we ever want to trade vans... or use it for transport... and get rid of the camping look... all one would have to do is remove the rack and wala... instant factory looking van... besides some of them low hanging parking garages won't let you get into it if you have a rack and accessories up on top...

... but the big problem is getting the coax and wires from outside inside... and I am thinking about a single attachment box with connectors...above the roof... down into the cross member inside.. which then also gives me some sturcture to mount the control head/ compass, gps... etc.. in the center... as we looked at the visor shelf.. and the X says.. pooo on that idea.. I liked it but she didn't because of the limit on visibility to look up from her seat... ya she is one tall gal... grin

We were going to mount the control head for the radios on the dash right side of the inst cluster.. but instead the trailer brake controller is going in their... similar to the new 2011 ford vans have... along with the switches for the lights... etc... sooo that location is reserved already... and if we have both the icom 706 AND CB... the CB could go center roof line while the 706 is remoted...

also... someone showed me a neat carrier for large bats that has a pull down feature.. supposed to be mounted on the left side between the frame (attaches to it) and the outside body... neat design.. but the honda 2000 would fit in place of the bats... then when you need it you pull it down... start 'er up.. and then back up under the van... only problem is it is higher.. and thus would be at or below the frame rail bottom.. poo... always something... grin