Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2019, 03:24 PM   #1

rear speakers not working

The rear speakers in our 2012 Ford SMB suddenly quit working - only the speakers in the front work. There is a noise (like a fuzzy hissing sound) from the rear speakers even when the radio is off. Any ideas on this issue?

Ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:00 AM   #2

I have the same problem. The rear speakers worked fine, then both suddenly stopped working. But no hissing in mine. Since the front speakers work well I haven't taken the time to trace the wiring.
sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:39 PM   #3

FYI, assuming an OEM setup, if you have middle speakers (barn door and driver’s side) they are wired together with the rear speakers. Are the middle speakers working?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:59 PM   #4

No the middle speakers are not working either. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:01 PM   #5

What does OEM mean?
Old 03-19-2019, 03:06 PM   #6

Garage
Original Equipment manufacturer
Old 03-19-2019, 05:07 PM   #7

OEM = stock Ford stuff (i.e., not an aftermarket stereo and/or speakers). Do you have the stock head unit?

Not to state the obvious, but did you check the speaker fader setup in the head unit to be sure it's not set to front-speakers only? (It's amazing how often it's the simple solution that wins the day.)

So if your middle speakers are out too, it's likely either a wiring issue between the head unit and the middle speakers, or a problem with the head unit itself. I'd be surprised if it's an issue with the wiring run, because both sides don't work (a pinched wire, for example, would likely only cause one side to go out). That leaves the wiring connector (unlikely) or the head unit (more likely).

If you still have the stock head unit, this might be a good time to consider upgrading to a new stereo. You can get some really nice double-DIN style screen head units at pretty reasonable prices now.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:43 PM   #8

It's a Kenwood system that I think was installed by Sportsmobile when converted. I agree that it doesn't seem like a wiring issue. Wasn't sure if there was a fuse somewhere. Will likely have someone look at it as I know very little about it. Thanks
Old 03-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #9

Did you check the fader setting?
Old 03-21-2019, 05:49 AM   #10
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Did you check the fader setting?
That's a good idea---those settings can be too easily accidentally changed sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthless View Post
It's a Kenwood system that I think was installed by Sportsmobile when converted. I agree that it doesn't seem like a wiring issue. Wasn't sure if there was a fuse somewhere. Will likely have someone look at it as I know very little about it. Thanks
I had a Kenwood Excelon that turned out to be a huge POS, sent it back under warranty for repair and its STILL a POS, same issues as before. Its been retired and awaiting recycling---I'll stick with Sony thank you very much.

If the settings haven't been changed you could have lost part of the built in rear amplifer. I'm assuming you are NOT running that head unit through a supplemental 4 channel external amp too? If so that should be checked for both input and output wiring issues. If those are intact then the external amp could be an issue too.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote