Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #1

Rear view camera for E vans

http://www.amazon.com/Rear-View-Safety- ... kup+camera

This camera is a replacement for the rear license plate light with a rear camera built in. I know it is pricey but it looks factory.

My question is has anyone installed this type camera and if so it looks like the wires from the camera are not the typical video cables. Would anything else be required for the install to a Pioneer adv-4300dvd head unit?

hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:33 PM   #2

Re: Rear view camera for E vans

In one of the pics, you can see that there is an adaptor with the white/yellow rca cable (sound/video), red power adaptor, and the power adaptor wires. Looks like all you have to run to the camera is the main cable as that cable has all the connections needed (video/power) at the front end.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:39 PM   #3

I just found it comes with 33 ft of video cable and the adapter from s video to rca.

Looks like it might take another 12-15' of rca cables
Old 11-04-2015, 03:55 PM   #4

Good grief, RCA and DIN cables on a micro camera! Why would they do that unless they thought you were going to wedge an old CRT TV into the corner of the windshield?

For not much more than that you can find a wireless camera combined with screen. I got mine at Costco for right around $100. Bolted it to the license plate surround on the passenger side back door. Wired the camera to the reverse light circuit, wired the screen up under the dash and mounted it above the mirror.
The only issue with having the camera offset is that it doesn't quite line up the guide lines on the screen with the van but since you have a good view down the drivers side it doesn't matter that much.

Anyway, that one won't fit your E350, it sez it's designed for some other model:

"This color CCD camera is designed specifically for the Ford Economize vehicle"
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasm
I just found it comes with 33 ft of video cable and the adapter from s video to rca.

Looks like it might take another 12-15' of rca cables
Why do you need up to 48' of cable to run from the head unit to the camera?
Old 11-04-2015, 05:37 PM   #6

Just came up with that measurement from the radio to left side of dash...under driver door foot well....up B piller to roof....down driver side to rear....across rear doors....down to wire chase to rear passenger door....2 feet extra
Old 11-04-2015, 09:01 PM   #7

<edit: fix markup>

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
Why do you need up to 48' of cable to run from the head unit to the camera?
Class C motor home? Of course the cutaway chassis doesn't retain the rear doors or the license plate light, so never mind.

I have one of these in basically the same spot: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GSF ... detailpage

Since it doesn't protrude at all, it's pretty hard to notice. I don't see spending an extra $80 to make it a bit less noticeable. I feel like I'd replace my dented bumper first, but then I'd need to stop trying to turn the EB around on trails.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:55 AM   #8

I mounted my camera on the Penthouse near the upper brake light, and definitely needed an RCA extension cable to accommodate the top popping up and the additional run. I originally had it mounted at the license plate, but when I started using a hitch mount bike rack had to move it as the rack blocked the camera view. Even in the license location I still needed an extension, as I have an EB van.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:03 AM   #9
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasm
Just came up with that measurement from the radio to left side of dash...under driver door foot well....up B piller to roof....down driver side to rear....across rear doors....down to wire chase to rear passenger door....2 feet extra
There should be more than adequate space along the right side upper body to run this sort of cable---I've done it but with interior lighting wiring, DIY. You could either run the cable downward through the B Pillar trim then through the footwell and onward under the dash---much shorter distance, my WAG no more than 27' total.

The camera linked would be great if paired up with this monitor: http://www.amazon.com/Leegoal-RearVi...00195VTN9ZP4NZ, assuming it wouldn't be integrated into a double DIN head unit etc.

Pricey yes but well worth it for the mounting configuration if nothing else. Its exceptionally low profile makes it almost invisible and doesn't detract one bit.

The website for the camera is found here: http://www.rearviewsafety.com/ Some interesting stuff there too.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:54 AM   #10

I ran my wiring for my toggle switches down the passenger side of the dog house and under the carpet of the floorboard. Then straight down the side under the plastic footwell of the barn doors. On my RB, I think that was about 18-19 ft of wire to the back corner.