Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2023, 05:17 AM   #11

What’s the constraint with the frame rails?

The 6.0 PSD had both starting batteries there. You could probably use that harness and battery boxes in its entirety.

Old 03-27-2023, 12:42 PM   #12

Just no room. I've got the exhaust on one side and the entire other side is bang full of fuel filters, propane, fuel tanks, etc.... There isn't room until I hit right before the back door...
bisonthecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:51 PM   #13

Can't recommend this in the slightest. Sure, in theory you can get a thick enough cable, but turning a diesel over in the cold, especially if it requires multiple cranks and a long or multiple glow plug cycle, is brutal. My van came with batteries mounted in the rear courtesy of the PO, and the best thing I've done to help faster engine starts in the cold is move them to the frame rails and shorten the run to the starter. I can double check cable thickness but I recall it being 3/0. Dual optima red tops, 800CCA/ea IIRC. And that's with an engine that's known for not caring about cold starts, not a cranky 7.3.

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 01:05 PM   #14

Cheers. Yeah, this is one of those best laid plans things. Based on the feedback I've received I should pull the plug on it. Darn!
Old 03-27-2023, 01:19 PM   #15

Have you looked at Summit Racing and some other places that have very tidy frame mount options? I'm ditching the dual factory boxes and going to a single aftermarket mount. Vastly more compact, could be an option.

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 01:23 PM   #16

I'll have to upload a picture. Even if I fabbed something up I still wouldn't have room. It would have to be mounted on the exterior frame wall and just to fit one battery I'd have to move a solid amount of already established stuff (extend hoses, etc.). I'm not 100% opposed to it, I just have an engine that won't start and can't reasonably tack too much onto this project until I knock that out as well. My goal was to add an intercooler down the line and free up the engine compartment + add a decent air filter, but I may have to just approach this again down the line!
Old 03-27-2023, 01:37 PM   #17

This is super helpful if anyone needs help sizing wiring: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...hf0/edit#gid=0
Old 03-27-2023, 04:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonthecruiser View Post
This is super helpful if anyone needs help sizing wiring: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...hf0/edit#gid=0
Yes, I am kind of partial to it, but that might be because I wrote it. Actually I just like the data in a spreadsheet. Glad you like it.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 05:08 PM   #19

Haha, thanks, Greg! Didn't realize that was you. I snagged the link probably two years ago and have shared it a time or two with others. Tracked it down again today and figured it may help others.

Question while we're on it, but why does the sheet return no uses of wiring at 500amps across any voltage range. I figured 500 amps at 1 foot would be reasonable, but that didn't work
Old 03-27-2023, 05:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonthecruiser View Post
Just no room. I've got the exhaust on one side and the entire other side is bang full of fuel filters, propane, fuel tanks, etc.... There isn't room until I hit right before the back door...
The stock frame battery location is on the outside of the pax side frame rail, below the doors. Just in case that’s not where you were thinking.
carringb is offline   Reply With Quote