Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2013, 06:32 AM   #1

Regulator Question

My engine won't start and it seems to be the batteries. I'm buying 2 (as close to identical as possible) Diehard Platinum P2's. I understand this is a Group 34 for trucks and the model for my 99.5 E-350 7.3. It does not appear to be equipped w dual alternators or the ambulance pkg.

Since the problem could be the OE 135 Amp alternator, and since I was going to change it out, anyway, I'm looking for a replacement w the highest output that will fit. I have conflicting sources tell me that's a 185-Amp; and another who says 215-Amps. In either case, I will apparently have to buy a different top radiator hose to get it out of the way.

Whichever new alternator I buy, it will have a built-in regulator. With its larger capacity, is this a plug-and-play install? Or, are there adjustments that must be made to my remaining electrical system (ECM), that I should know about before turning it over to an unknown alternator shop?

JC

Old 10-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Regulator Question

I installed a 270xp and am happy with it ON MY 6.0. YMMV
http://www.nationsstarteralternator.com ... -s/369.htm
I'd discuss with Nations or who you decide to purchase from about the 7.3 but Nations was able to use the same case as my stock case.

A couple of threads:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10221
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=11097
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9265
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3820

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #3

(MY BAD. THE ADMISTRATOR SHOULD MOVE THIS THREAD TO ELECTRICAL.)

Thank you, Dave (et al). That's exactly what I needed. I'll be calling Nations.

I'll probably have my usual independent mechanic install it. In case he doesn't know the correct torque for the pulley (which is extremely unlikely), or doesn't know whether Nations sends the wrong pulley are there places I can look up those specs?

My vehicle is a 99.5 and was assembled March 1999. I have no idea when the engine itself was put together. I'll probably need the "dual alt" upper radiator hose. Will the Parts Desk at Ford know what I mean? IOW, does anyone know the OE part no. for that longer hose?

I will be re-wiring, I'm sure, using marine grade, fine strand, tinned cabling. Way overkill; but, for me, that's just about right. I have experience putting lugs on and use only tinned lugs and HD shrink wrap (for this big stuff). I don't, however, know what "military rings" are. Can you explain?

A friend recommended for my new cables that I not install post terminals made of lead, saying lead is not nearly as good a conductor as metal. I've never seen metal post terminals. Do you know how to find what he's talking about?

JC
Old 10-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTex
(MY BAD. THE ADMISTRATOR SHOULD MOVE THIS THREAD TO ELECTRICAL.)...

JC
Thread moved.

Herb
Old 10-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTex
I have experience putting lugs on and use only tinned lugs and HD shrink wrap (for this big stuff). I don't, however, know what "military rings" are. Can you explain?

A friend recommended for my new cables that I not install post terminals made of lead, saying lead is not nearly as good a conductor as metal. I've never seen metal post terminals. Do you know how to find what he's talking about?

JC
Don't know. Perhaps in the context of "military rigs" as in what the military uses?
Anyway for the post terminal on the alternator you'll have to wait to see the size. I had to drill out a smaller heavy duty lug. I've always used a press to install lugs and they are generally silver coated copper type lugs. You can always discuss what some of these extreme car audio shops use and even Nations should have a solution I'd think.

Good luck. Post back which way you go.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote