Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2022, 09:23 PM   #1

Replacement GFI Amps

When we had a pre-purchase RV inspection done the GFI kept tripping. We were told to replace the old GFI with a new 20A GFI outlet, even though the GFI Breaker is only 15Amp. Help me understand that? Should the new GFI be only 15A - the same as the breaker or does it matter?

rtamobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 06:08 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
As GFI's age or are repeatedly tripped they "wear down" and become less able to hold the circuit closed. It would be a best practice to match the GFI's amp rating to the breaker but it would be no issue if its of a lower rating.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:55 AM   #3

If the breaker for the circuit is 15 amps the GFI should be 15 amp.

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 09:33 AM   #4

I did not know this
https://www.homelectrical.com/how-lo...ts-last.6.html
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 09:51 AM   #5
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtamobile View Post
When we had a pre-purchase RV inspection done the GFI kept tripping. We were told to replace the old GFI with a new 20A GFI outlet, even though the GFI Breaker is only 15Amp. Help me understand that? Should the new GFI be only 15A - the same as the breaker or does it matter?
I wouldn't go higher amps unless I knew the wiring and electrical system is rated to handle the higher amps.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:59 AM   #6

I would suggest the circuit breaker is the over current protection device. The ampere rating of the GFI recep. indicates the current it can safely handle. The GFI recep is a safety device designed to trip when current leakage to ground exceeds some safe/trivial amount, it is not an overcurrent protective device. I agree with the statement that old GFI receps may tend to trip prematurely and should be replaced. While I don't know it to be a fact, it would not surprise me if a 20 amp GFI recep tolerates finitely higher ground fault leakage compared to a 15 amp model.
maurshir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:34 AM   #7

Industrial and even hospital grade GCFIs are available. I don't know, but I would assume that they're more resistant to premature failure. I also agree that sticking with the same amp rating as your breaker is a good idea.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/industrial%2520gfci?NCNI-5
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 08:06 AM   #8

Garage
A 20amp receptacle can accept a 20amp plug, which could overload the breaker, which is why the National Electrical code says you can't do it. I would stay with the 15 amp receptacle. If the new receptacle keeps tripping then there is probably a small leak of power between the conductors. Some GFIs do get weak and some are probably too sensitive from the start. I wouldn't put a 20amp in, even though I have never used any appliance with a 20a plug, and not many people have, it would still be best to stay with the correct receptacle. Since the receptacle is designed to trip with an imbalance of current on the conductors, increasing the load capacity of the receptacle shouldn't change whether or not you get nuisance tripping.
wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote