Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2021, 11:32 AM   #1

Question Replacement Headlights, Tell me what to buy!!!

I have an 01-E350, and its time to upgrade the front headlights. (if there is a matching set, I would also upgrade the rear at the same time.)

There are several options and I have analysis paralysis on whats the best value. I know it's not a prom dress, but I would like the surround to be black if I am replacing the entire headlight. If just the bulbs, then cosmetics are of no concern. Who has upgraded and can point me in the right direction.

I am open to suggestions if someone wanted to tell me what the best value upgraded headlights (and/or bulbs) would be.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

THaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:44 AM   #2

This would be so much easier if you posted a photo or even a photo link to what headlights you have.

Why are you upgrading? Low output? Yellowed lenses? Just want some bling?

You can spend only $50 up to $750 so not to add to the analysis paralysis but set a budget and stick to it. The cheap option can get a little more light or you can go to fully blinding everyone on the road. The more expensive option gets you as nice of lights that a work van can have and be DOT compliant and still be a low power draw.

Installation and alignment is very different between the two headlight assemblies you may have. So post up that photo
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:25 PM   #3

I have the non-rectangular option. My van is current in the shop, so I grabbed this image off line. This is not my van, but this is my configuration.

I would like more light for night driving, be those just a bulb upgrade, or complete replacement. I am draw to the look of the black surrounds, but again, thats just cosmetics. First I need something that will give me better light at night. But I do not want something that is blinding to on coming traffic. There are so many options I am unsure which way to go.
Attached Thumbnails
photo(4).jpg  
Old 04-06-2021, 12:41 PM   #4

Garage
Don’t know if this fits what you are looking for, but Scott, member REDOVAL, sells headlights through his company Vantage Optics. Looks like a black option.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...hts-14304.html
Old 04-06-2021, 12:47 PM   #5

Garage
Get a hold of Scott at Vantage Optics (also a member here, just search the name) - they are not cheap, but you get every pennies worth. Best upgrade I’ve done to my Van, and would encourage anyone to consider them. Being able to see well at night is more than just an upgrade, it’s safety as well.
Www.Vantageoptics.com
Old 04-06-2021, 12:47 PM   #6

With your lights TH go with the expensive Vantage Optics linked above. Just recognize you need to install and align them or take them to shop to do it. $750 like I said.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:55 AM   #7

If you swap your headlights for the square 6054 style headlights that are more common you can buy a h4 projector setup for fairly cheap around $115. Buying retro fitted headlights is going to be alot more expensive.

This is the set I’ve bought for my 03 e350. Haven’t installed them yet but in theory should do the job.

https://ledlightstreet.com/products/...IaAgPYEALw_wcB
GaviNmaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:02 AM   #8

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1790.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	39129
This is the style of headlight I’m talking about. The headlights everyone else is describing needs to be baked in a oven and split apart to achieve the same result. Mine haven’t been converted yet but I just wanted to use it as reference.
GaviNmaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 02:19 PM   #9

I upgraded to HID's with projector lenses, and the improvement was huge. A couple years down the road, the bulbs were getting dimmer and I had a couple minor issues with them (loose connection, blown fuse). Last year, I found a van I salvaged the housings for rectangular bulbs from and installed a set of DOT compliant LED's. I think the HID's were slightly better with a sharper cutoff, but the LED's were much less expensive with far fewer parts (no ballasts, ignitors or wiring harness) and they have proven to be quite good. All in, I think i spent just over $100 for the housings and bulbs. In addition, if one goes out on a trip, I can simply get a replacement at any auto parts as opposed to the HID's that I'd have to order.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 02:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I upgraded to HID's with projector lenses, and the improvement was huge. A couple years down the road, the bulbs were getting dimmer and I had a couple minor issues with them (loose connection, blown fuse). Last year, I found a van I salvaged the housings for rectangular bulbs from and installed a set of DOT compliant LED's. I think the HID's were slightly better with a sharper cutoff, but the LED's were much less expensive with far fewer parts (no ballasts, ignitors or wiring harness) and they have proven to be quite good. All in, I think i spent just over $100 for the housings and bulbs. In addition, if one goes out on a trip, I can simply get a replacement at any auto parts as opposed to the HID's that I'd have to order.

I like the sound of $100 vs $750. I didn't know if anyone had something that was a slam dunk in the value category. I am considering replacing the housing, and saw options that would be in the $300 range. Just not sure what I want to do.