Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2022, 02:34 PM   #1

Replacement House Batteries for an '05

Hi Folks -

The original owner of my '05 Ford 6.0L Quigley 4x4 SMB - 232K miles and still bangin' along

Have replaced my house batteries once, and need to do it again (most likely).

Does anyone out there in SMB-land have a recommendation for new batteries? I think they were originally a 100 amp-hr group ... 27??

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Joe

Old 09-10-2022, 03:37 PM   #2

Depends on your budget and you know it can get silly. The ones to consider in order of increasing cost are lead acid, AGM (if you're going down this road I personally think Interstate is the best), or Lithium. Lithium will require the installation of two chargers, one off the alternator and the other off shore power. The batts are expensive and so are the chargers but they are a premium option for a bunch of reasons. The middle range is AGM and they wont require a special charger of isolator but they are sealed and don't gas out the way lead acid will. Lead acid while the least expensive, are tried and true.
josevillaluz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 04:16 PM   #3

Garage
IMHO there are certain things in life where quality really does matter;
*Knives
*Socks
*Toilet tissue
*Bug repellant
and
*Lifeline Batteries
Old 09-10-2022, 06:56 PM   #4

If they are mounted inside consider AGMs......and consider AGMs if you don't want to add water every so often. Flooded lead acid batteries vent hydrogen when charging and need to be well vented. AGMs are sealed.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 01:09 AM   #5

And if you are thinking of going over to Lithium, take the "red pill"
Old 09-11-2022, 09:11 AM   #6

Garage
I went with a Lifeline AGM. A direct replacement from OEM.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:56 AM   #7

I would not even consider anything other than lithium, my LiPo 300 AH battery cost me $800 on amazon, wont ever have to buy another again in my lifetime. can be discharged / charged 4000 times
Lcavalletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 10:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcavalletti View Post
I would not even consider anything other than lithium, my LiPo 300 AH battery cost me $800 on amazon, wont ever have to buy another again in my lifetime. can be discharged / charged 4000 times
What are your charge and discharge low AND high temperature shutoffs?
How are you managing for temperatures outside the limits?
What other mods/equipment/monitors required to charge/monitor/maintain your Li from alternator, solar, and/or shore?
How are you charging/maintaining your starter battery bank with mixed battery chemistry. Have you changed your starter battery to Lithium, too?

Don't get me wrong, I have just switched our house bank to two SOK 206Ah Lithiums plus many additional components to match up to this system as well as manage for temperature issues. Not simple, not easy, and certainly not cheap.

A full eval needs to be done on a person's USAGE profile. If you are a winter user or high temp desert user you better know your stuff or you could be 100% shutdown with NO Lithium battery power in a critical situation. Will not matter that you can charge 4,000 times. And I am not so sure that these Lith batteries will actually live up to their cycle specs in the usage profile we put them in. These Li batteries really do not like the "use and charge at the same time" and top off storage profiles of an RV setting. The cycling profile of the tests are not the same as how they are used in our rigs.

My Iphone 6S has gone through three batteries in its life which is far less than five years. It has shut off in the cold and when hot. Just some considerations.
Old 09-16-2022, 11:10 AM   #9

While it's true lithiums do have some temperature parameters. If you put them in the interior of your Van you can easily override those. Lithium batteries are light you can store them in any position even upside down. They are much easier to find a place for. I've had mine in weather from 10゚ to a 105° and I've never had any issue. And if you were to have an issue, start the van turn on the air conditioning or the heat as needed until problem solved. But if you're in the Van during extreme temperatures you most likely have your air conditioning or heater going already.

To me there is no question I will never have anything but Lithium batteries.
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 11:57 AM   #10

Battleborn will shut down charge and discharge when the battery gets to 135F
Battery will stop charging at 32F and stop discharging at -4F.

Unattended is the risk. This leads to additional monitoring and compensation systems that are self initiating - for cold, heating is doable.
Not too difficult on a 105 day and unattended van to reach 135 interior temp. Fridge and fan will cut off.

As I said, I am already down this path but I am making sure I know what the use parameters and mitigating profiles are. Over 135F interior temp and away from my van for a couple of hours and my refrigerated food is likely gone. High temps are much harder to deal with.

When we go skiing, the heater is self monitoring and maintains interior temp above freezing to protect the water systems and batteries.