Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #1

Replacement speakers for 2012 Sprinter

I've had my Mercedes Sprinter Sportsmobile for a little more than a year now and I've gotten to the point that I can't stand the sound of the standard cruddy speakers, so I'm looking to replace them. I have a custom audio unit with built-in back-up camera, but I stuck with the stock speakers. Everything I've read talks about different size and configuration of speakers than I have.

My question is, does anyone have any experience/recommendations for new speakers? What I have now are

- 5.25" single cone speaker in each door
- 1" tweeter on each side of the dash, facing up
- a single 3" (?) speaker in the middle of the dash, facing up, connected to both stereo channels

There are no rear speakers.

Suggestions? Could I replace the 5.25" door speakers with 6.5" models (is there enough room)?

Thanks for any and all help!

- Steve

SteveTOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #2

Re: Replacement speakers for 2012 Sprinter

Steve,

No advice on the speakers, but you may try re-posting in the "Sprinter Chassis" sub-forum to get a response.

Cheers,
Brent
Old 10-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
Site Team

In the past I've found sites like Crutchfield do a good job in telling you what size speakers will fit.

Herb
Old 10-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
In the past I've found sites like Crutchfield do a good job in telling you what size speakers will fit.

Herb
I'm with Herb. Crutchfield has been my source for anything like that for years. Their advisors (phone or online) can guide you in the right direction. As long as you are buying a decent name they will probably be much better than stock (Pioneer, Alpine, etc.) If you want audiophile quality (JL Audio, Polk) they can handle that too. Just tell them you want the best. Their website is pretty awesome too, even if just shopping.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #5

I was disappointed with Crutchfield, at least what they have on their website. They do know about the Mercedes Sprinter, but only the passenger van is shown as having a 5-speaker option. No options for the cargo van, which is what SMBs are based on. Even choosing the passenger van, the 5-speaker option only shows alternatives for the front door speaker. Only 2 of 7 options were less than $100, the rest were over $200. I don't think it's worthwhile to spend over $100 to try to get super accurate bass response because there is so much low rumble noise from the road that gets in the way.

I ended up ordering 5.25" door replacement speakers from Amazon that I listened to at Fry's (cost 1/3 less at Amazon). Also I ordered 1" dome tweeters that got good reviews to replace the dashboard tweeters. Hopefully I'll be able to fit them in! I may end up disconnecting the center dash speaker altogerther. I just hope I can get a good volume balance between these two very different sets of speakers.

Thanks for the suggestions!

- Steve
SteveTOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #6

Bummer about Crutchfield. Sorry to hear it. They've always taken good care of me but it has been a few years since I looked at anything besides a head unit there. Maybe they just aren't keeping up with every possible vehicle the way they used to.

Glad you found something that will work

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote