Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2023, 07:11 PM   #1

Replacing ACDC Fridge With a 12V DC

Looking for a second opinion on replacing a dead Norcold DE0051(ACDC) with an OFF indelB CR65(12V DC). The dimensions allow but I'm wondering about hooking it up. I have a Pleasure Way Traverse and the system has an Intel Power 9100 series 120V AC to 12V DC power converter/battery charger in it. Has anyone done this that could advise? I've read the threads and the consensus seems to be that there isn't a need for ACDC but I want to make sure before purchasing.

Since the dead one is installed as ACDC what modifications will I have to make to get this done right?

Appreciate any opinions...

Thanks!

Side note: Truckfridge now has another brand for camper, van and motorhome, OFF IndelB.

TRAVRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 03:46 AM   #2

Replacing ACDC Fridge With a 12V DC

No mods necessary to go to just 12v. With the AC/DC fridge there are 12v wires in the back as well as a 110v household type plug that plugs into an outlet behind the fridge (at least there was in my Traverse). So you’ll just hook the new DC-only fridge to the 12v wires.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 10:47 AM   #3

Smile

Thank you for your reply! This is great news..
Old 04-12-2023, 10:59 AM   #4

Losing the 110V with your setup just means that when on shore power your converter/charger will be supplying the 12 VDC fridge voltage. There are some electrical losses converting 110VAC to 12VDC in the converter (it's probably around 90% efficient) but they are minimal and since you are on shore power it won't really matter.

On another note, are you running the charge wizard with the 9100? I find it incredibly annoying that Intellepower makes you buy something to make their charger work properly.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 11:27 AM   #5

I can't find anything in the owners manual regarding a charge wizard... That being said this rig is stock as far as internal systems. It's a 2008. But if a charge wizard is needed to run it then it's probably there, I'm just not savvy enough to determine.
Old 04-12-2023, 11:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVRSS View Post
I can't find anything in the owners manual regarding a charge wizard... That being said this rig is stock as far as internal systems. It's a 2008. But if a charge wizard is needed to run it then it's probably there, I'm just not savvy enough to determine.
The charge wizard turns the 9100 from a "dumb" charger into a 3 stage smart charger (bulk, absorb, and float). This will help extend the life of your house batteries. It's a small plastic box that plugs into the 9100.......should be obvious if you have one.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...harger_55-8807
2003 Honda Element
Old 04-12-2023, 12:05 PM   #7

Interesting, I just watched the video. Thank you for sharing! I just went out and checked and don't see it. Would you recommend this? And is this only for plugging in to charge the batteries? Our average trip is 200 miles/4 hour drive so I always found the batteries to be charged after the drive. Would you recommend plugging it in when returning home to charge completely or would the drive do it? I would purchase the wizard if not...

Side note question. If the batteries run low on the third day of camping, how long would I idle run the truck to charge the battery for an extra day? We don't usually stay that long but I'm curious. 20 minutes has been my experience to date.
Old 04-12-2023, 12:33 PM   #8

Are your house batteries Flooded, AGM or LiFePo?

Yes the intellipower is only charging the batteries when plugged in to shore power.

The charge wizard will charge the house batteries (and potentially the starting battery too depending on how things are wired) properly......extending their life. Lead acid chemistries are somewhat more forgiving the Lithiums as far charge profiles go, but the basic 9100 series Intellepower converter without the charge wizard just outputs 13.6V........so it will never fully charge the battery.

The charge wizard provides a typical 14.4V bulk charge and a 13.6V float voltage that will keep the batteries happier. Charging off of the alternator has the opposite problem; it pounds the batteries with around 14.4V even when fully charged.

There are more sophisticated devices (DC to DC converters) out there such as the Victron Orion series and device from Kisae and Sterling Power but if you already own the 9100 the charge wizard is a good idea. ..and again it winds me up that they can't just put $1.50 worth of components in the 9100 to start with. Well...they did that on the 9200 series but still want to sell you a plug in pendent. ..and the pendents are primitive, not very user-friendly as far as what mode you are in or what the button on the device does.

The intellepower stuff is made for affordable high volume RV stuff, so I'm sure it's built to a low price point. ...that being said....I have one in my van; it was pulled from the neighbor's RV when we installed a 2000W inverter/charger.
2003 Honda Element
Old 04-12-2023, 12:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVRSS View Post
Side note question. If the batteries run low on the third day of camping, how long would I idle run the truck to charge the battery for an extra day? We don't usually stay that long but I'm curious. 20 minutes has been my experience to date.

What's the amp hour rating of the house batteries? Are they lithium or lead acid chemistry?
2003 Honda Element
Old 04-12-2023, 12:50 PM   #10

They are Interstate Batteries, Deep Cycle
SRM-24
550 CCA
690 MCA
140 RC
As per the top of them...