Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2016, 11:20 AM   #1

replacing UB4D battery with smaller one

I have a five year old Ford e-350 sportsmobile. I removed the fridge (now use ice box on back rack) and microwave oven to make additional storage space, and replaced all lights with LED's, and thus do not have much current demands. The very large house battery, the UB4D (114 pound, 20.75 L, 8.5 W 10 H) is now dead and not holding charge. I need to replace it, but it is both very large and very expensive and I do not think I need as much battery.

Here is my question for the forum.
1) Advice on what battery could fit securely in the battery carrier (under the van by the rear axel).
2) Advice on what brand and model which would still have good ratings, high amp hours, but not as much amp hours, etc. as the very large UB4D

Much thanks in advance.

ssaroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:45 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaroff View Post
Here is my question for the forum.
1) Advice on what battery could fit securely in the battery carrier (under the van by the rear axel).
2) Advice on what brand and model which would still have good ratings, high amp hours, but not as much amp hours, etc. as the very large UB4D

Much thanks in advance.
Isn't the battery you have now inside a (plastic) marine battery box strapped to the angle iron rails? That's how they did mine. You still should have metal support under it if you go smaller. That might be more work than what you want to do. No matter how you go make sure you have room between the battery terminals and any metal. A taller battery can cause issues if it's too close.

A few members have been using seconds, blemished type batteries that are similar is size but at a substantially reduced price. If you're after a smaller quality made battery, Odyssey AGM's have been good to me. I do like that they claim their batteries can be dropped to 80% of discharge w/o causing harm but they're pricey. Sears Platinum marine AGM's have also done well and at least in the past were easy to find throughout the US. I feel most any battery will do as good as the Universal brand but higher grade batteries handle poor charging tactics better than others.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:55 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
...Sears Platinum marine AGM's have also done well and at least in the past were easy to find throughout the US...
Rumor is that Sears discontinued the Platinum AGM's last year. Sucks for me since I have two, and according to others, Sears will warranty the Platinum battery by giving you a Gold battery.

Herb
Old 10-21-2016, 03:16 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage
I'm not surprised Herb, seems a lot of businesses like Sears are cutting back. Remember the JC Penney battery? They did the same. I kept getting a battery of lesser grade every time I took it back.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:47 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
I'm not surprised Herb, seems a lot of businesses like Sears are cutting back. Remember the JC Penney battery? They did the same. I kept getting a battery of lesser grade every time I took it back.
The way I see it, if my Platinum goes bad and they can't replace with an equivalent item, they can give me my money back and then I'll buy the cheaper Gold battery and pocket the difference.

Herb

Tags
battery, electrical, ub4d