Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #11
Site Team

Re: rocker switch placement?

Currently in my 7.3L Excursion. Sorry for the small pic size.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:35 PM   #12

shenrie: I am a big talker, not a big doer as far as my 7.3 goes right now, so please take this in the appropriate sense of what I plan to do not what I have done. But IMHO dual EGT gauges (real analog gauges with temperature proble one each in each of the exhaust manifolds) is not an option but an "opportunity" for the best real time info you can have on your 7.3L PSD. When I get time I will post a link to their installation here, in the interim this is a good article on what gauges (not switches):

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13553 ... ges-2.html

GaugePro is CSIPSD. He sells ISSPRO gauges and swears by them. Others swear at them. Christoff13T is also the real deal. I respect both of these guys when it comes to the 7.3LPSD. But for different reasons.

BroncoHauler: Would you post the link to where to buy that over the mirror triple gauge pod? And what three gauges are you running in there?
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
^^^ you should be able to use all the connections on that one gauge for the 2 you replace it with. just keep in mind that along with the wiring (actual wiring for boost gauge is normally just for lighting) from the boost part of the gauge will be a hardline (what actually gives a boost signal to the gauge) that you cant kink. there are union junctions you can buy if you need more length for the hardline wherever you relocate it to.
Oh interesting.. I guess I just assumed it was electrical, but it's actual air line of some type?

Might need to take a peek at that gauge and see what's going on.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:12 PM   #14
Site Team

My gauge pod is an Autometer pod. Can't recall where it was purchased, but anyone who sell Autometer should be able to get it. It was painted with tan paint to match the interior. I don't think this is where I bought it, but I have bought stuff from Riffraff Diesel before. Good guys.
http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/autometer ... d-console/

[EDIT: manufacturer's webpage, so you can make sure if fits your application:
http://www.autometer.com/2-1-16-triple- ... 03-05.html]

I'm running EGTs, Trans Temp, and Boost gauges, all Isspro EV2 white face gauges.
http://www.issprogauges.com/Isspro-EV2-Gauges-s/25.htm

Herb
Old 01-28-2015, 01:16 PM   #15

Garage

rally, its been a few years since ive installed a boost gauge, but everyone ive done had a hard air line to it. things may have changed though. ive been out of the turboing non turbo cars game since about 07.

e350, good read and good idea on dual probes. ill have to consult with my local experts. im not opposed to that by any means, but space will likely be precious once i actually build an overhead console. that will likely be where i get my answer as to whether or not i have room for 2 gauges, lol.

ive ran autometer for years and never had any issues, but the boost levels and high temps of the 7.3 might be enough to keep them from being 100% accurate. it is very hard to find matching gauges in other brands though. especially in the wide range of different gauges autometer offers. however, im not opposed to looking into the isspro line of products.

oh, and the scangauge also doenst offer tranny temps for us 7.3 guys either

anyone who has an overhead console should post a pic of their setup if you dont mind
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
oh, and the scangauge also doenst offer tranny temps for us 7.3 guys either
Yes, you can get TFT on Scangauge for 7.3s, at least the newer ones.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:18 PM   #17

reelchef: I dont' recall what engine you have, so I apologize if this is starting to look like a 7.3 thread. 7.3's are famous for needing EGT and Fuel Pressure gauges.

Tugly's use of the Isspro's and the Torque on an Android tablet is pretty cool:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11312 ... -like.html
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:45 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
reelchef: I dont' recall what engine you have, so I apologize if this is starting to look like a 7.3 thread. 7.3's are famous for needing EGT and Fuel Pressure gauges.

Tugly's use of the Isspro's and the Torque on an Android tablet is pretty cool:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11312 ... -like.html
I also have a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter and the Torque Pro app on my tablet, but I use it more for diagnostics than real time gauge monitoring. Tablet does primary duty as my music source and my navigation.

Herb
Old 01-28-2015, 06:30 PM   #19

Garage

Also have an analog EGT gauge...
Old 01-29-2015, 07:06 AM   #20
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

As rallypanam said, you can program in your TFT on the scanguage for the 7.3, I did it on my '03, not sure if you can on older ones? I had an EGT and boost gauge installed in the over the mirror pod like broncohauler to supplement the scanguage, and yes, an air line needs to be run for boost, I can't say it's extremely useful, but I needed to pick another gauge to fill the spot of the pod, might swap out for the fuel pressure gauge someday. I'll add a pic of the pod
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote