Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #1

Seeking Input re TV Antenna & B/U Camera

Hi "ALL,"
Am new to this forum & SMB, but recently purchased an E350 (2013), getting a Quigley conversion, and then will have SBM Indianna do their magic. I would like to know if anyone has any recommendations for type of b/u camera ( mfg, wired vs. wireless, etc.). Will have the Trojan bumper (Tire Carrier+Cargo Box) so don't know if this should be a consideration re camera placement/visibility. Also, would like recommendations regarding the Winegard TV Antenna Sensor III System - to get or not is the the question - alternatives? Satellite is not an option.

Thanks!

Jim

jkkpbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #2

Re: Seeking Input re TV Antenna & B/U Camera

We have the Winegard Sensar IV crank-up antenna RVW-395 on our high-roof Sprinter. It works great and we normally get between a few to over 20 stations over the air. With the TV Towers app on my iPhone I can figure out which way to aim the antenna. You just have to be sure there are no low tree branches to get in the way. SMB Indiana installed it.

David
Old 10-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #3

I installed a Kenwood double-din dash stereo and a matching Kenwood wired backup camera, and have been very pleased with it. Good clarity and range of view. The only complaint I have with it is that it takes the stereo a second or two to boot up when starting the van, so if you start the van and immediately put it in reverse you won't have a display until the stereo boots up. I believe dedicated camera/monitor systems don't have this delay, but I didn't want another gizmo on my dash.

I initially installed the camera above the license plate (Ford van), where they put the OEM cameras. I really liked the field of view there and the perspective with the bumper made it easier to park. I've since moved it up next to the top-mount brake light on my PH top, as when I have bikes on my rear rack they blocked the camera. I have a bit harder time judging things with the new camera location, as the perspective is different and a bit harder to tell how close I am with my bumper/bike rack.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #4

I have the stock Mercedes backup camera. Although this is not an option for you, my experience might be helpful. It is very high above the rear doors and shows the rear bumper and the ground back about 30 feet. At the bumper it shows about 1 foot wider on each side. So as long as I can see the ground between the bumper and an object, I know I will not hit anything and can stop a few inches from a curb, tree, or other car. There is a lot of perspective distortion so I parked between the lines on a double parking space and put tape on the screen to show where the van will go when backing up straight. The display comes on within one second after placing in reverse. The monitor folds down on the dash out of the way. Hope this helps you find a good solution.

David
Old 10-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #5

Brian & David -Thanks for the very good info. This is what I needed to know.

Jim
jkkpbs is offline   Reply With Quote