Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #1

Shore Power Question

I searched but couldn't find much on trouble shooting my battery charging problem. I bought the SMB couple of months ago, and I don't think that when I hook it up to shore power that the batteries are getting charged. Actually I'm not sure what indication I should be looking at that tells me the state of my charge or if in fact the batteries are charging.

I have two solar panels on the roof and the Blue Sky Solar Boost 2000E controller. When I pull her into the garage and hook up the thick 30A 110V cord, with the "pig tail" adapter for use when you are not at a RV park hookup, the Blue Sky when switched to the "Battery Voltage" display does not change, it is currently displaying around 12.5V.

I have the Triplite inverter, and I leave the remote switched to "Charge Only", the circuit breakers aren't tripped and are On (Main, GFI, etc), the main Triplite under the bench seat is switched to the far left, the "Auto/Remote" setting. Upon reading the Triplite manual, the "Line" green LED should be illuminated continuously when receiving AC Power and mine does not light up.

It doesn't make it any easier that the dang shore power cord isn't making a good contact as with the "pigtail" converter plugged in it wants to pull away from the wall outlet, but I have manually held this in with no luck. The wall outlet is verified as delivering AC.

Any help appreciated and also tips on what indication/display to verify you are getting AC and that the batteries are charging.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #2

Re: Shore Power Question

Well, I'm making some head way. Didn't realize it, but when I plug into the garage wall outlet, it immediately trips the little breaker (GFI?) on the wall outlet. Wonder what is causing this? Makes me think it is shorting out somewhere?
Old 03-20-2010, 04:07 PM   #3

Could be shorting out, but it is also likely that the SMB system is a little "dirty". This meaning that the neutral, ground and hot leads are not set up to house codes (not unusual). I would try and plug into a recepticle that is not on a GFI. Many power tools, especially older ones, will also trip a GFI. It's not necessarily a problem, just the way some of them are wired. Used to be garages never had GFI outlets for that reason. Codes change with time and the number of hungry lawyers....
Try it on a non GFI outlet. If it's really shorted, it will trip the breaker in your house panel that protects that circuit.
OK guys, go ahead and start slamming

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
Site Team

When I tried an outdoor, GFI equipped outlet, I also tripped it each time. Went with a non-GFI outlet and routed an extension cord out the garage, and no problem ever since.

Herb
Old 03-20-2010, 11:28 PM   #5

Are you turning off your SportsMobile Main Breaker switch prior to plugging it into your 110 Volt outlet ? . Example would be Flip Breaker to Off , attach your provided Power Cord to Outlet on your Van , Then plug Cord into 110 Volt outlet , return to Van and turn Breakers to the On Position .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:33 PM   #6

Mine does not trip the GFI, but plugging the block heater of either diesel into the same circuit does. I'm not plugging directly into the GFI outlet, but into the house circuit it protects.

The other thing I learned at my old place is if the outlet is not properly grounded then it won't charge.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:27 AM   #7

Thanks for all the help guys. What I tried was switching the Triplite inverter, main unit under the seat to Off with the SMB's main breakers off also. Then I plugged in the shore power and every thing was good. I then switched the Triplite to the right (Charge position) and switched the main breakers on and the GFI did not trip. Then I switched the Triplite to the left, the normal Auto position and the GFI was happy and the remote Triplite indicated a charge, and my Bluesky was indicating something like 14.5v.

I don't understand why it worked this way but I'm happy it did. Like others, I know those GFIs can be extra sensitive and at least I know what to do now and that the SMB wiring seems fine.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #8

FYI, per SMB, the shore power should only be applied through a non-GFI circuit.

I called them on this since my new SMB was tripping my GFI circuit when I was plugging in at home.
It has caused no problem since.

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
Site Team

Garage

I believe several trip-lite owners have complained about this and there are some posts in the electrical section about the problem. It seems that Xantrex prosine inverters don't have a problem with GFI's. At least you got it working.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote