Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #11

Re: Smallest generator?

I have the ProSine 2.0 Xantrex 2000 watt inverter/battery charger. I found out the hard way that the Honda 1000 i bought would not charge by house battery because the inverter has a 1000 watt battery charger. I could have read my paper work first but I did not think of it. Do not make the same mistake.

The Honda 2000 works perfect but I did not buy it in California. Did not want the emission stuff on it and I use non ethanol gas when ever I can. I also use a fuel stabilizer.

Angel

2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #12

I have been very happy with the Honda EU2000. Starts every time and is quiet. Also fits well in the galley box. 2 gallon rotopax is attached to the back of the galley box which is secured by eyebolt. Then cable lock thru the eyebolt and thru the generator handle. Solar panels are nice but too easy for them to be in the shade (i.e. rack, snow,trees etc.)
Old 09-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #13

I would recommend the Yamaha ef2000i. Same size as the Honda eu2000. Two things I liked were the fuel shut off so you could run the carb dry, and it had a spark arrestor(in Ca camping a must). The generator is ridiculously quiet.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #14

Costco sometimes sells this Champion 2000W generator. It's similar size but same power. I like it more than Honda because you can stack them on top of each other. It's also about $500 less than the Honda.

Small Note: The inverter SMB sells automatically charges the battery when it's plug in to a power source. A 2000W generator works well, but once you use a heater or water heater or microwave, it won't be enough power to run more than 1. I always turn off the charging when I use the other appliances.
straymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #15

I was at Costco yesterday and they had these for $599.99:

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/smarter-to ... IQcUhziR0w

I am thinking of picking one up to test on my next trip. The noise level seems optimistic. I haven't heard of any small gensets with a lower noise level than an equivalent Honda. It has a smaller engine than a Honda, so I'm sure the peak power is lower, just like all of the others (Champion, etc.) who try to compete but seem to fail.

I'm pretty sure someone here posted a youtube video of the Champion failing to start a circular saw while the same size Honda did it effortlessly.
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #16

Smallest generator?

I haven't come across any generators that are more quiet than a Honda.

I had the 1000 for a couple years, but it didn't fit my needs for the SMB, to charge the house batt, use microwave, or the incoming 110v water heater.

Picked up the 2000 and it sip gas plus is not much louder than my 1000. Plus it meets my power needs.

The Hondas retain their value well. I broke even when I sold my 1000. Course I bought it used too.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #17

I saw the same Yamaha powered Smarter generator at Costco last week. Since you could by two of them for the same price as the Honda I'd be tempted to try them out. If anyone does buy one I'd appreciate hearing the pro's and con's from an actual use test.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #18

I have the Yamaha 2000 and I am very pleased with it's performance. And it fits in my Baha box. It has a smaller outer demension than the Honda.
rawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #19
Site Team

Garage

We're encountering the reality of northern camping in this ongoing cloudy weather pattern in the UP, which led me to this thread. As a noise freak, does anyone know the dB ratings of these generators? I don't find them immediately but I haven't searched much on the EVDO network.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #20
Site Team

I think one difference between the Honda and the Yamaha is that the Honda has an actual fuel pump, vice just a gravity feed for the Yamaha. As far as I know though, that's rarely an issue, but for me, I have a Scepter MFC and a suction feed adapter for it that I will be using for an extended run gas tank, and it needs the suction created by the fuel pump to pull the gas from the MFC to the generator gas tank. Why? Because I can.

Herb