Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2012, 06:42 AM   #1

Smart Junction Box

Not really a question here, more of a rant. I took my 2011 E250 to the dealership on the 14th because the dash board looked like a christmas tree all lit up. They determined the smart junction box was bad. But, the part is not available. Nearly two weeks later, my van is still sitting at the dealership. How the crap is the part not available?

I had to cancel my Moab trip, and its looking like a trip I had planned for 6/2 might get canceled too. What would happen if I were a electrician or something and that was my work vehicle? I probably waited too long, but finally called FORD, and they did not seem too concerned about getting me back on the road either. Thoughts?

Michael

2horsegarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #2

Smart Junction Box

Bummer, will it drive? I'd go get it and take it someplace else if so. How is a part for a 2011 van not available? I don't get that either.
Also, describe "lot up like a Christmas tree". Do you mean all of your warning lights etc. are lit? Another place I would look for help is on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forums. There are some pretty smart guys there on the electric issues forum.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #3

Re: Smart Junction Box

Did you try a different dealer? Get the part number from the first dealer and call around. Also ask the other dealers if they are looking up the correct number, sometimes dealers look up a bad number so it looks like it’s just not available.

Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #4

Yes, there were 5 or 6 warning lights on.... and not, can't really drive it. The brake lights won't shut off so people behind me wouldn't know if I was braking. And, because the computer thinks the brakes are on, the traction control and stability control consistently switch on and off... and because they are switching on and off the throttle positioning sensor gets triggered to go to "limp home" mode.

The problem isn't the dealer. I have been on the phone multiple times with FORD and they cannot locate the part either. I have searched every parts site I could find. No go.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #5

Garage

A good auto electric shop might be able to repair the junction box.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #6

I had a good experience with a Ford dealer in Buffalo NY while getting a repair. I was on an 8 week trip a few years back with the new sportsmobile. I had some PCM issues caused by a wiring error. Anyway, by the time I had made it to this ford dealer in Buffalo, I had been on the road for 20 days and 9 of them the were spent with the van at a Ford Dealer. This stop in Buffalo was for a check engine lite that came on and was apparently caused while they working on it for 9 days. Of course they had to order the part overnight, that made 10 out 21 days. So the next day when I show up to pick it up they tell me the wrong part got shipped.

I got pretty pissed, told the guy if it was not going to hurt things could he just put it back together, and I would be back by in about week to get it done. He said that should not be a problem. About 20 Min's later he said he wanted to try one more thing. The next thing I know my van is rolling out all fixed. Apparently he told the tech to take the part off of one of the vans in the lot, something the tech said Ford frowned on.

It put a smile on my face.
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #7

Two plus weeks, and still nobody is sure when the part will be available. I asked if a part could be taken off another vehicle and they were adamant that they could/would not do that....

I hate FORD right now.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #8

First sorry to hear of the problems you are having with your van...It sucks to have problems with a new vehicle but it does happen...

I have worked in the Auto industry (mostly German new car dealers) for many many years and I can tell you that it is very frowed uponed by the manufacturer to remove parts from one car to fix another for many reasons... This part is either really hard to obtain or they are all failing thus making it impossible to get...Maybe if you could get the part number you could try to find one in another state or even a used one to get your van back...

What you might try even if you don't want to do it is to find out or ask about the Lemon Laws in your state... Learn what rights you really have as a consumer...Many times if you start saying Lemon it might get fixed quite fast... Don't get too mad at anyone at Ford or the dealer because you may have to deal with them again for something, (dealers often mark the files of difficult customers for future visits) but be firm...You might say somethkng like "sbhould I call my lawyer?" but don't lie and threaten them that you HAVE talked to one before you really have...

Good luck...
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #9

2horsegarage...

Give Jay Minto a call at Towne Ford in Redwood City here in the Bay Area ((650) 562-2225). He is the fleet salesman that provides all of the Ford vans to SMB Fresno. When we had transmission problems with our van and the Ford service tech told me that it wasn't covered under the Ford warranty because of the after-market 4WD conversion, Jay called the Ford service tech and told him that the transmission was definitely covered and that he would back him up if management disagreed. (The service tech was ultimately fired and Ford covered the repairs.) Jay is a great friend of SMB and I bet he can help you.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #10

Almost three full weeks later, I finally got my van back. Geeosch.