Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2014, 03:08 PM   #21

Re: Solar Blvd portable kits

It's a great site. I wish it were bigger in the East. I contacted them about helping grow it by shooting and submitting pics and info. They got right back to me and said they would send some info on helping but never did.

Sorry for the hijack.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
It's a great site. I wish it were bigger in the East. I contacted them about helping grow it by shooting and submitting pics and info. They got right back to me and said they would send some info on helping but never did.

Sorry for the hijack.

Nice!
Old 01-20-2014, 12:46 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
Has anyone here bought and used these kits?

http://www.solarblvd.com/Solar-Panels-& ... 7b26f45846

They make a 100, 120, and 160 watt version. Over at "expo", people seem to really like them. I have a dual battery setup and would like to get a portable solar kit for an upcoming camping trip so I don't have to run the van to charge the batteries. Prices on these kits are much easier to swallow compared to other kits I've seen.

Which kit would be worthwhile for my 200aH battery pack?
If anyone gets one of these 120W folding solar panel set ups, I'd love to see some additional pics. The pic looks to be the exact same pic for the Go Power solar kits sold on Amazon (for a lot more money). There are some features I really like about the Go Power solar, like the cables use Anderson power pole connectors) so if they are the same, I'd pick up one from SolarBlvd. I e-mailed Solar Blvd twice with a simple question about the cable and f it has an Anderson connector on it, and they can't seem to give me a clear answer. Does concern me that they can't answer a simple question, in case I ever have issues down the road.

On Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Go-Power-GP-PSK-1 ... ower+solar

On SolarBlvd
http://www.solarblvd.com/Solar-Panels-& ... _info.html

thanks,
Herb
Old 01-21-2014, 01:37 AM   #24

They look quite similar, only difference I could read was the amazon is twice as heavy... Curious as well for real pics!

Cheers
Mr. D
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:47 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abitibi
They look quite similar, only difference I could read was the amazon is twice as heavy... Curious as well for real pics!

Cheers
Mr. D
Gives me some concern that SolarBvd may be using a pic harvested from the other website. I had noticed the disparity in weight, but forgot about that. If it's not an error, I'd assume that the tempered glass if probably the largest contributor to weight in a solar panel, so that's somewhat troubling as well.

Herb
Old 01-21-2014, 01:23 PM   #26

I think someone posted pics of the actual unit in this thread... http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... it-on-ebay

The kit sounds promising from the people who bought it, but who knows if there are any issues with longevity. I think at the price, I am willing to take the risk when the time comes. The other kits on Amazon are almost three times the price.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #27
Site Team

All the pics on the ExPo thread seem to be of the 100W setup and not the 120W.

Agree, the risk isn't too bad when comparing prices. Since I already have an adapter cable that plugs into a 12v lighter socket, I was hoping the solar panel cable used Anderson powerpoles. Could adapt the existing cable, but that means finding someone with the right crimper.....

Herb
Old 01-21-2014, 05:06 PM   #28

Judging from the expo thread the controller is made by Ysmart http://www.ysmart-tech.com/s-series-...lar-controller I have seen these costing anywhere between $5.00 to $20.00 - $15.00 at Newegg. They have limited details on there charge algorithm, no selection of battery types. But it looks like for the price you may get a reasonable solar panel with a 25 year warranty.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:09 PM   #29
Site Team

Based on some info I got from a guy who picked up the 120W Solar Blvd folding panel is that there are no Anderson connectors on the cable, so it's different, at least to some extent. Still curious how/why the same picture seems to be used by both companies.

Herb
Old 01-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #30

Yes, no Anderson connectors, 14 gauge wire, The go power web site http://gpelectric.com/products/portable-solar-kits at least list some more data about their product and has the manual. It at least is a three stage charger with 3 different battery types. How the pictures look the same, well I expect that they look pretty close anyway. I once found a picture that I posted here on my rearview camera show up on a website showing their rearview camera installed. While it looked close, it was not the same model that I had installed.
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote