Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #1

Solar charge light flashing

The charge light on the Blue Sky Solar Boost flashes when I am not running the refrig and I am in the sun. Is that O K ? I never noticed it till the fuse blew to the refrig as I had been running the refrig most of the time. Peter at SMBW thought it was probably OK. What do you all think? Hope this is not dumb of a question. I just want to make sure everything is fine.

It stops flashing when I turn on the refrigerator on and the battery volts go down to 13.55. Plugging in to shore power and turning on the charger or turning on the inverter makes no difference. Everything seems fine to me. Battery temp is around 80 F.

Angel

2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:23 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Solar charge light flashing

You might want to read the manual that cam e with your van. The Blue Sky booklet is in there.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:33 PM   #3

According to the troubleshooting guide, the cause for the blinking would be
1."system in equalize mode" which it is not

2. "temp sensor failed" which I was afraid of because the battery temp went up to 112 f when the Isotherm refrig started not working right a day before the refrig fuse blew. I pulled the refrig and tested the volts into it and it was 24 ? An hour later all the refrig lights were out so I checked the fuse and replaced it. Now volts into it are 13.4 the same as the voltage read out on the Blue Sky Solar Boost.

3."installed reverse polarity" If this was the case, I thought I would have a problem before now.

So, I have been checking the battery temp ever since. A battery blowing up would spoil my day.

Angel
Old 04-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

It can also mean that your batteries are at full charge. If anything 12 vdc is running the light generally stops flashing. Usually when your batteries are at full and the panels are in full sun plus the charger is in operation, this light will flash. It should say something in the manual about that.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:20 PM   #5

GOT IT! I had missed it. I went the trouble shooting page and did not read everything. THANK YOU!
Old 04-26-2009, 10:32 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel
"temp sensor failed" which I was afraid of because the battery temp went up to 112 f when the Isotherm refrig started not working right a day before the refrig fuse blew. I pulled the refrig and tested the volts into it and it was 24 ? An hour later all the refrig lights were out so I checked the fuse and replaced it. Now volts into it are 13.4 the same as the voltage read out on the Blue Sky Solar Boost.
I’m still somewhat puzzled about your post.

Just be aware that rapid flashing might indicate a problem or one of the issues you posted. But in my vans normal operation a slow steady flash has always indicated that my batteries are at full charge. You are seeing a flash indicator you’ve never seen and this throws up a red flag. If I remember, you’re a full timer and there would be a chance that you normally keep things on that would keep you from ever seeing a full charge indication. But I certainly do not want you to think all is well if there is a problem. I would suggest you put things back into normal operation but monitor the situation.

I’m trying to figure how you measured 24 volts at the refrigerator. Are you sure?

A temperature thermistor can fail, but in my van this device is connected to the charger and controls charging via the inverter (Prosine 2000). I don’t have temperature control from the solar charger. Feel free to PM me for other info if needed. Hopefully all is well…Dave B

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:09 AM   #7

I am sure about the 24 volts. I had Mark, the tec from Isotherm in Flordia, on the phone at the time. He walked me through using my volt meter for the first time. We were trying to find out why the refrig would not cool. He could not understand the 24 volts either. I just think the fuse had been going out for 2 days because when it finally went out and I replaced it all has been well. Now the voltage reads OK.

Mark said they have had a Earth Roamer in the parking lot with their refrig and would like a picture of my SMB with the Isotherm refrigerator also. If my refrig continues to work great like it has been, except for 2 days, I will send him a picture.

I was finishing up a 2 week road trip when the refrig gradually stopped working. I am not a full timer but I do leave the refrig on all the time so it is ready when I want it. I usually drive it about once a week.

Angel
Old 04-27-2009, 10:11 AM   #8

Garage

GOT IT! I had missed it. I went the trouble shooting page and did not read everything. THANK YOU

You're welcome! (actually this phrase has been officially replaced in our language by the term 'no problem', so I'm sorry if 'you're welcome' seems strange, but I'm old!).